British dad Adrian Johnson learned an important lesson on October 31: never ever steal your kids’ Halloween candy.
Johnson had put his daughters Eidy, 5, and Poppy, 7, down for bed after a night of trick-or-treating when he decided to satisfy a sweet tooth by digging into their haul. After inspecting the loot, the business owner settled on McVitie’s chocolate cookies. He made the wrong choice.
“Think I’ve just eaten a biscuit (from a packet given to our kids while trick or treating) that went out of date 17 years ago,” Johnson tweeted that night. “Not joking.” He included a photo of the incriminating sweet with the “best before” date, which read: May 15, 1999.
Johnson added: “Don’t think this specific brand exists anymore. Is there a doctor in the house?”
Think I’ve just eaten a biscuit (from a packet given to our kids while trick or treating) that went out of date 18 years ago. Not joking. pic.twitter.com/JTj9adVlKY
— Adrian Johnson (@adrian_johnson) October 31, 2017
All it took was one bite before Johnson realized the cookie had turned bad. “My first mouthful, which I ate, I just thought, ‘that’s weird,” he told the Press Association on Wednesday, November 1. “Second bite I knew there was definitely something wrong with them.”
It was like nothing else he had ever experienced. “Just an awful, gone-off, long-lingering bad taste,” Johnson said. He added that he plans to alert the neighbors to what happened: “I might pop round tonight when I get home, more for their sake then to complain, as who knows what else they’re keeping in their cupboards.”
Meanwhile, Johnson’s girls had a good laugh. “My kids Poppy and Eidy, found it hilarious this morning when I told them the story as they were asleep when it happened,” he said. “They did point out that I shouldn’t have been pinching their Halloween treats in the first place!”
Sign up now for the Us Weekly newsletter to get breaking celebrity news, hot pics and more delivered straight to your inbox!