Robert Jason Owens, the man suspect of murdering Food Network Star contestant Cristie Codd and her husband Jospeh “JT” Codd, admitted that he “stored and destroyed” the bodies of the two victims, Sheriff Van Duncan revealed at a press conference on Friday, March 20.
According to details revealed in search warrants posted by the Asheville Citizen-Times, and revealed by Sheriff Van Duncan at the press conference, Owens had the remains of the season 8 contestant and her husband at his home, and part of them were found inside a woodstove.
As detailed in the warrants, Owens admitted to hitting and killing Joseph with a pickup truck. Sheriff Duncan, however, declined to elaborate on how Cristie, who was five months pregnant, was killed.
"We were able to recover what we think are human remains. Part of those were recovered from a woodstove at the residence," Duncan told reporters at the press conference.
A fire that broke out early Friday morning that destroyed an unoccupied mobile home on Owens' property may have also provided new details in the case, but Duncan declined to comment on whether the woodstove was inside the mobile home or if the fire is involved with the murder at all. Cristie and Joseph’s bodies have also yet to be officially identified.
As previously reported, authorities believe that the Codds were murdered on March 12 and that Owens, who was their neighbor and worked as a contractor for them, broke into their home on March 15.
"What we know right now might not be exactly what we know in a week or two weeks from now surrounding motive," Duncan told reporters, stressing that the investigation is still ongoing.
Owens, who has been charged with two counts of first degree murder, one count of murder of an unborn child, breaking and entering, and larceny, remains in custody without bond.
Sign up now for the Us Weekly newsletter to get breaking celebrity news, hot pics and more delivered straight to your inbox!