Batter up! Actress, athlete and women’s advocate Geena Davis steps up to the plate to reveal 25 things you may not know about her (she’s fluent in Swedish!) in this week’s issue of Us Weekly. Don’t forget to watch the Massachusetts-born actress, 60, on The Exorcist’s season finale Friday, December 16, at 9 p.m. ET on Fox.
1. I love anything that is the wrong size — either too big or too small. I have a 6-foot figure of a baby in my sitting room and I have a real deck of cards around 3/8 of an inch tall.
2. My given name is Virginia Elizabeth Davis.
3. Starting at 10 years old, I had a newspaper route.
4. I bought wallpaper with my newspaper money and hung it in our living room when my parents were at work without telling them.
5. I made most of my clothes when I was a kid.
6. When I was 14, I played the pipe organ during church service.
7. I played the flute in my Massachusetts high school marching band.
8. I speak fluent Swedish; I studied abroad in Sweden my senior year of high school.
9. After college, I worked pretending to be a mannequin in store windows in NYC.
10. I studied opera.
11. I love sorting things. I could sort puzzle pieces all day.
12. When my kids were little, I spent hours separating Play-Doh they’d just played with back into their colors.
13. I got the part in my first movie, Tootsie, partly because I had been a Victoria’s Secret catalog model.
14. I can remember jingles from 50 years ago, but I can’t remember what I ate for lunch yesterday.
15. I got the cast and crew of A League of Their Own to sing along to Jesus Christ Superstar every morning.
16. I took up archery at age 41 and was a semifinalist for the Olympic team at 43.
17. I want to be a clothing designer for tall women.
18. I can move my eyes independently.
19. I can also wiggle my ears one at a time.
20. I run a film festival every May in Bentonville, Arkansas, called BFF. It was created to champion women and diverse voices in film and other media.
21. I didn’t have a C-section when I had my twin sons, Kian and Kaiis, with husband Dr. Reza Jarrahy.
22. I am an expert pumpkin carver.
23. I’m a special envoy for Women and Girls in Information & Communication Technologies to the U.N.’s International Telecommunication Union.
24. I have a research institute, seejane.org, that advocates for more and better female characters in kids’ TV and movies.
25. I can write backward with my left hand while I write forward with my right hand. I can also write upside down just as fast as I can normally write.
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on YouTube!