We all knew it was coming! Ricky Gervais returned to the Golden Globes on Sunday, January 10, to host for his fourth time. The 73rd annual show didn’t disappoint, and the British comedian, 54, wasn’t afraid to tackle any topic.
From Caitlyn Jenner to former Globes hosts Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, Gervais didn’t hold back. Read his 10 most eyebrow-raising jokes below:
1. On El Chapo’s escape: “I want to do this monologue and then go into hiding. Not even Sean Penn will find me … snitch.”
2. On NBC: “We are live on NBC, and it’s right that NBC host this awards show, because they are the only truly fair and impartial judge. And that’s because they were the only network with zero nominations.”
3. On Caitlyn Jenner: “I’m going to be nice tonight. I’ve changed. Not as much as Bruce Jenner, obviously. Now Caitlyn Jenner, of course. What a year she’s had. She became a role model for trans people everywhere, showing great bravery in breaking down barriers and destroying stereotypes. She didn’t do a lot for women drivers, but …”
4. On Transparent‘s Jeffrey Tambor: “Jeffrey Tambor did it in a dress. What a year he’s had. What an actor, what a role. Every day, he has to put on all that women’s clothes and the hair and makeup and let people film it. That takes balls. So, I don’t know how he does it. I really don’t. I’ve seen his balls. They are huge and long. I don’t know if he tucked them in the bra, that thing that pushes them out the back and lets them hang out, like a bulldog? No one knows. I love Jeffrey Tambor. I don’t know if that’s because he is such a great actor or because he reminds me of my Nan.”
5. On Hollywood corruption: “One Hollywood publication said that me hosting would mean that some film stars would stay away for fear of being made fun of. As if film stars would stay away from the chance of winning a Golden Globe. Particularly if their film company has already paid for it.”
6. On Spotlight: “The Catholic Church are furious about the film, as it exposes the fact that five percent of all their priests have repeatedly molested children and been allowed to continue to work without punishment. Roman Polanski called it the best date movie ever.”
7. On Jennifer Lawrence’s stand on gender equality: “Jennifer Lawrence made the news when she demanded equal pay for women in Hollywood and she received — yeah, overwhelming support. From people everywhere. There were marches on the street with nurses and factory workers saying, ‘How the hell can a 25-year-old live on $52 million?’ There were plumbers around the world going, ‘poor girl.'”
8. On his hosting salary compared to last year’s hosts Tina Fey and Amy Poehler: “Of course women should be paid the same as men for doing the same job. I would like to say now that I’m getting paid exactly the same as Tina and Amy did last year for hosting this — no, I know there was two of them, but it’s not my fault if they want to share the money, is it? That’s their stupid fault. It’s funny ’cause it’s true.”
9. On The Martian being labeled a comedy: “To be fair The Martian was a lot funnier than Pixels, but then again, so was Schindler’s List.”
10. On his own Golden Globe awards: “I’ve got three Golden Globes myself so I can say — one’s a door stop. One I use to hit burglars with. And one I keep by the bed ’cause — it’s mine. It’s mine. It’s mine. I won it fair and square. It is just the right shape and size, it is nothing — yeah. So, to be clear, that was a joke about me shoving Golden Globes, that I’ve won, up my ass.”
Tell Us: What did you think of Ricky Gervais’ opening monologue?
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on YouTube!