There really isn’t much that Harry Connick Jr. can’t do! The jazz singer first stole our hearts with his melodic voice, but the Hope Floats actor, 48, also has made a name for himself on the big screen. He’s a devoted husband and father to three daughters — a family man at heart — and continues to expand his already vast repertoire.
In past years, Connick became a part of the American Idol family, judging the show’s last three seasons and putting his musical knowledge to good use. He’s going to be making his return to television with his syndicated talk show, Harry, which premieres September 12 (check local listings).
Before the premiere of his widely anticipated show, Connick Jr. squeezed in some time to share 25 interesting facts about himself exclusively with Us Weekly.
1. As a kid, my nickname was “Boomer.” I would bang my head on my crib. My sister said I was “booming.”
2. Sometimes I eat junk food in the middle of the night and have no recollection — until I see the wrappers in my bed.
3. I hate rats. I hope this doesn’t inspire any practical jokes.
4. My fantasy job is tight end for the New Orleans Saints.
5. I like packing. I like my suitcase to be very organized.
6. I love gadgets — anything electronic.
7. My older sister, Suzanna, is amazing. She’s a lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Army.
8. I love to cook — New Orleans food and BBQ.
9. I fell asleep on a treadmill once for a split second. I woke up just before I fell off.
10. I don’t wear ear monitors on stage. I like the sound of the band and the audience.
11. I’ve had the same manager for 30 years, Ann Marie Wilkins.
12. I’m in awe of my three daughters, Georgia, 20, Kate, 19, and Charlotte, 14. Each one is brilliant.
13. I’m a morning person.
14. I idolize my father, Joseph Harry Fowler Connick. He’s 90. I talk to him at least once or twice a day.
15. I drive a pickup truck. i jacked it up a few inches. I feel like the king of the road driving it.
16. I’m horrible at math. I was only able to help my kids with homework through third grade.
17. I love my wife [Jill Goodacre]. Without her I wouldn’t be much of anything. She rocks my world. We’ve been together 26 years.
18. I was raised Catholic, but my mom was Jewish. I feel lucky to have had both influences.
19. I’m a fatalist. I believe that things happen for specific reasons.
20. I work out every day, without fail, for at least 30 minutes. I haven’t missed a day since June 10, 2010.
21. I love black licorice and pink and white Good & Plenty.
22. I moved to New York at 18 and lived at the 92nd Street Y. I was a ticket collector in the box office for two weeks — my only real job!
23. I love to paint, but I’m not very good. I also love to be on the water. And I love camping. Those are three things, but I only have 25 things.
24. Spontaneity is key for me when I’m performing — the crazier things are, the better.
25. I once ate 19 Krispy Kreme doughnuts in one sitting. Still feeling that one.
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on YouTube!