Ryan Lochte Lands a New Endorsement After Rio Robbery Scandal

Giving this bro a break! Ryan Lochte has landed a new endorsement deal with Pine Bros. throat lozenges just days after four major companies dropped the Olympian over his Rio de Janeiro robbery scandal.

“We all make mistakes, but they’re rarely given front-page scrutiny,” Pine Bros. CEO Rider McDowell said in a press release announcing the deal on Thursday, August 25. “He’s a great guy who has done incredible work with charities. I’m confident that Pine Bros. fans will support our decision to give Ryan a second chance.”

The disgraced Olympian will appear in a commercial and print ads for the brand as part of the endorsement deal.

Lochte, 32, showed his appreciation for the company’s support with a tweet that same day.

“Thanks to all the folks at pine bros. for your confidence in me,” he tweeted. “I look forward to making you proud.” The swimmer’s last tweet before his message Thursday was his lengthy apology for his behavior in Rio, posted on Friday, August 19.

Ryan Lochte
Ryan Lochte Harry How/Getty Images

On Monday, August 22, the athlete lost four major sponsors, one after another. Speedo USA was the first company to announce that it was ending its sponsorship after Lochte admitted to “overexaggerating” his story about being robbed at gunpoint in Brazil.

The athlete claimed to authorities that he and fellow swimmers Jimmy Feign, Jack Conger and Gunnar Bentz were robbed by men posing as police after leaving a party. When law enforcement reviewed surveillance footage, they announced the athletes had “fabricated” the story to cover up vandalizing a gas station bathroom.

“I left details out, and that’s why I’m in this mess,” he told NBC’s Matt Lauer Saturday. “I overexaggerated that story.”

Ralph Lauren, Airweave and Gentle Hair Removal followed Speedo's lead, with Ralph Lauren, the official outfitter for Team USA, telling Us Weekly in a statement, “Ralph Lauren’s endorsement agreement with Ryan Lochte was specifically in support of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games and the company will not be renewing his contract.”

As previously reported, multiple sources tell Us that the embattled Olympian is set to compete on the upcoming season 23 of Dancing With the Stars.

“Doing DWTS will be great for Ryan’s image!” an insider told Us. “He will be able to show America that he’s a good guy who made a mistake. He’s still an Olympic champion! He will be great on the show.”

Sign up now for the Us Weekly newsletter to get breaking celebrity news, hot pics and more delivered straight to your inbox!

Want stories like these delivered straight to your phone? Download the Us Weekly iPhone app now!

Close popup

Welcome to In Motion

Bring photos to life with Us Weekly's exciting new mobile experience!

What's In Motion? Tell me more

What's In Motion?

Go back

How to Use In Motion

What's In Motion? Tell me more