Will Seth MacFarlane be welcome at next year's Academy Awards? Jury's out. The Family Guy and Ted creator, 39, struck the wrong note with many viewers — and celebrity audience members inside the Dolby Theatre — with jokes that bordered on sexist, racist and homophobic.
During his "We Saw Your Boobs" song, for example, MacFarlane trilled with the Los Angeles Gay Men's Chorus, MacFarlane called out winners Meryl Streep, Charlize Theron and Angelina Jolie plus nominees Naomi Watts, among others. As the cameras panned to the audience, both Theron, 37, and Watts, 44, looked visibly annoyed by the the number — but those reactions, alas, were a pre-taped bit planned for the routine.)
When the song was done, MacFarlane took pains to distance himself with the gay singers behind him. "Just so you know, I'm not actually a member of that chorus, I was just joining in at the end there."
Other controversial quips? See the roundup below and tell Us: What did you think of MacFarlane's performance?
2. "We have finally reached the point in the ceremony where either Javier Bardem, Penelope Cruz or Salma Hayek comes onstage and we have no idea what they're saying — but we don't care, because they're so attractive," introducing Hayek
4. "To give you an idea of how young she is, it'll be 16 years before she's too young for Clooney," on Beasts of the Southern Wild's Quvenzhane Wallis, 9.
5. "And those of you who gave yourselves the flu two weeks ago to 'get there'? It paid off," jokingly commending the thin women in the room
6. "The film was a triumph and also a celebration of every woman's innate ability to never ever let anything go," on Zero Dark Thirty and its real-life protagonist Maya (Jessica Chastain)
7. "I would argue the actor who really got inside Lincoln's head was John Wilkes Booth," on Lincoln
8. "The first time I saw him with all that dark facial hair I thought, my god, the Kardashians have finally made the jump to film," on Ben Affleck's beard.
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on YouTube!