Donald Trump is hardly in the running for the title of Mr. Congeniality. Representatives for Univision announced on Thursday, June 25, that the network will not be airing the Miss USA pageant after Trump's recent racist comments, and the businessman fired back by threatening legal action.
The drama started last week, when Trump, 69, kicked off his 2016 presidential campaign with some controversial remarks on immigrants.
Speaking at a kickoff event in New York City, Trump said, "The U.S. has become a dumping ground for everybody else’s problems. Thank you. It’s true, and these are the best and the finest. When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."
The presidential hopeful's words did not go over well, and prompted immediate backlash. Colombian singer J Balvin was scheduled to perform at July's Miss USA pageant and pulled out of the gig because of Trump's controversy.
Univision took action soon after, as reps announced on Thursday that the network will not air the competition, which is partially owned by the Apprentice star, when it takes place on July 12. According to the Associated Press, Univision based its decision on Trump's "insulting remarks about Mexican immigrants."
Trump is hardly showing regret for his controversial statements, and hit back at Univision on Thursday by threatening legal action. The businessman told the New York Post that he intends to sue the network with "a major lawsuit" because, "I cannot be silenced — unlike a politician."
"I love the people of Mexico, but my loyalty is to the United States," added Trump, who told NYP that Univision is in breach of its five-year contract with Miss USA. "Running for president is far more important to me, frankly, than running the Miss Universe pageant."