Padma Lakshmi’s Ginger Tumeric Margarita
“I wanted something really fresh and different. Everyone always adds a lot of sweetness to margaritas, but with this recipe, I’ve taken the sugar down a bit,” the Top Chef host explains to Us. “It’s simple syrup with ginger and turmeric, but instead of doing it with the classic recipe of equal parts sugar and water, I reduced it so it’s slightly less sweet. And it has a beautiful color, too, that looks like marigold flowers. For the final ingredient, I of course couldn’t forget the Patrón Tequila. That’s definitely what pulls together the entire recipe.”
• 2 oz Patron Silver
• 1 oz ginger Tumeric Simple Syrup (1 cup water, 3/4 sugar, 4 inches fresh ginger root peeled and sliced, 1 tsp tumeric powder)
• 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
• 3-4 mint leaves
• Orange wedges
For the rim:
• 1/2 tsp ground tumeric
• 1/2 tsp ancho chili powder
• 2 tsp coarse salt
1. In a small saucepan, combine sugar, water and sliced ginger. Place over medium heat and bring to boil. Cook until sugar dissolves. Let steep for at least 10 minutes. Add the turmeric powder and stir until incorporated. Strain syrup through a coffee filter.
2. Combine ancho, turmeric and salt on a small plate and mix to combine.
3. Wet the top of a rocks glass with a wedge of orange and dip in spice mix.
4. Tear mint leaves and add to a cocktail shaker with ice.
5. Add the Patrón, lime juice and ginger turmeric syrup and shake vigorously.
6. Pour into prepared rocks glass and garnish with an orange wedge.
Back to top