Skip to main content

2 High School Students, Including Suspected Gunman, Dead in Live-Streamed Shooting in Philippines

2 High School Students, Including Suspected Gunman, Dead in Live-Streamed Shooting in Philippines
Gabriel Vince PALLALOS / AFP

Two high school students, including a gunman, were killed in a shooting in the Philippines that was live-streamed.

The incident took place on Tuesday, August 18, around 7:50 a.m. at a private school that is attached to Ateneo de Zamboanga University, according to a statement from the Philippine National Police.

The suspect allegedly brought a pistol and a rifle to the campus, and he live-streamed the shooting with a body-worn camera, according to Reuters.

According to a video viewed by the agency, the suspect entered a classroom and started shooting. He then changed weapons before entering another classroom and shooting again. As the incident took place, the camera captured a student lying on the ground, per Reuters.

Oklahoma High School Principal Shot in the Leg Stopping Ex Student Mass Shooting Plans

Related: Footage Shows Oklahoma High School Principal Stopping Ex-Student's Shooting

It’s been reported that the alleged shooter was a ninth-grade student at the school, while the victim was said to be a 10th grade student. Police have not yet publicly confirmed their identities.

After the gunman was done shooting at the students, he reportedly died by suicide.

The Philippine Star reported that up to nine other students were wounded in the incident.

Police are currently investigating the matter, while officers are working to determine how the weapons involved in the incident got to the campus.

A senior customs official said that the alleged shooter used a .40-caliber pistol that had been issued to his former customs official father, per Reuters. Additionally, the official claimed that the boy’s father also owned the rifle that was used to carry out the attack.

“The Philippine National Police, in coordination with the school administration and the community, is working closely to investigate the school shooting incident,” Dennis A. Esguerra, director of the PNP’s Regional Office 9, said in a statement following the tragedy. “We are committed to establishing the facts, ensuring accountability, and strengthening measures to protect the safety and security of our students, teachers, and the entire school community.”

Meanwhile, Zamboanga University President Ernald Andal announced that Tuesday’s classes were canceled and said that Wednesday, August 19, will serve as a day of mourning so that the community can grieve, the City Government of Zamboanga said in a statement.

Prmo Tumbler Ridge Canada shooting

Related: Suspect Identified After 10 People Died in Massing Shooting in Canada

Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. also spoke out about the situation and insisted there would be a “thorough investigation” into the shooting.

“We grieve with the families and the entire Ateneo de Zamboanga community over a tragedy that should never have happened,” Marcos said in a statement. “Our schools are where we entrust our children to learn, to grow and to dream about the lives ahead of them. They must also be among the safest places in our country.”

If you or someone you know is struggling or in crisis, help is available. Call or text 988 or chat at 988lifeline.org.

Close Button for "Got a Tip" Form
Got a tip for US?
We're All Ears for Celebrity Buzz!
Please enter a name.
Please enter a valid email.
Please enter a phone number.
Please enter a message.

Already have an account?