Buddy Valastro is best known for being the “Cake Boss,” thanks to his starring role on the TLC reality show of the same name, but that doesn’t mean the celebrity chef can’t also craft a scrumptious, savory meal.
In fact, Buddy’s Smashed Meatball Sub recipe is a family-favorite that appears on the menu at Buddy V’s Ristorante at The Venetian in Las Vegas, and the cookbook author, 41, is now sharing the family recipe with Us Weekly in honor of National Sandwich Month, which spans the entire month of August.
“The Smashed Meatball Sub is an easy-to-assemble comfort food that combines some really simple but delicious components: perfect meatballs, crisp bread and quality cheese,” Buddy tells Us. “Serving this at our family cookouts is always a smashing success!”
Featuring grandma’s meatballs, provolone, herbed ricotta and marinara sauce, this mouth-watering creation is perfect for a simple, weeknight meal. Check out the complete recipe below.
Smashed Meatball Sub
Makes 1 serving
• 6 oz dry bread (small diced)
• 6.5 oz milk
• 2 lbs ground pork
• 2 lbs ground veal
• 2 lbs ground beef
• 1.5 cup egg
• 0.5 cup Extra Virgin olive oil
• 2 tbsp minced garlic
• 1 tbsp dry Italian herb blend
• 6 tbsp parsley (chopped)
• 1.5 cup Panko bread crumbs
• 0.5 cup Pecorino cheese
• 0.75 cup Parmesan cheese
• 4.5 tbsp salt
• 2 tsp pepper
• 5 meatballs
• 2 oz ricotta
• 3 oz marinara
• 2 oz provolone (sliced)
• 1 hoagie roll (8”)
• 2 basil leaves
- Soak the dry bread pieces in milk for about 15 minutes.
- Place all meatball ingredients together into mixer equipped with paddle. Mix together thoroughly.
- Portion into 2 oz meatballs.
- Sear in pan using olive oil, rotating to sear all sides.
- Put seared meatballs into hot marinara sauce and simmer until meatballs reach 165 degrees.
- Place the hot meatballs with sauce on the bottom of the hoagie and smash meatballs into bread.
- Top meatballs with provolone slices and spread ricotta on top side of hoagie.
- Place entire sandwich into hot oven until the cheese is melted.
- Once melted, tear basil leaves onto meatballs and place top half of bun onto sandwich.
- Cut sandwich in half and serve.
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on YouTube!