Actress Melissa Joan Hart knows exactly what she’s whipping up this July 4! The Sabrina the Teenage Witch star recently partnered with Heluva Good! – a company specializing in cheeses, dips, sour cream and condiments – and that’s inspired her to create easy yet delicious recipes this summer.
“I am going to be making this new street corn salad, which I learned about from my friends at Heluva Good!,” she tells Us Weekly of her go-to Independence Day recipe. “I’m super excited about that and it’s super great to bring with you to a party or whatever. I just love all of their dips and they’re so easy for this.”
Though Hart’s recipe, below, uses Heluva Good!’s French onion dip, she loves the brand’s other flavors as well. “I think that 4th of July is perfect dipping season and I think that everything they have to offer is great,” says the 42-year-old. “Like right now, they have a dill pickle dip, which I’m super excited to try with the usual chips, carrots and jicama – especially jicama, I think that would be really good with a dill pickle dip.”
Another reason Hart loves Heluva Good! dips is because they help make cooking very easy, which is especially important for the busy mom of three sons – Mason, 12, Braydon, 10, and Tucker, 5 with husband Mark Wilkerson. “Doing things that are simple and using something like the Heluva Good! dip to mix into something so I don’t have to worry about exactly how to season things … it makes it so much easier for me, so I love that,” she says.
Though it may seem complicated, Hart tells us her Mexican street corn salad recipe is actually quite simple. “It’s just corn, French onion dip, limes, chili powder, some cheese, salt, that kind of thing,” she explains. “I just love being able to whip something up like that and wowing everybody.”
Check out the recipe below!
Mexican Street Corn Salad
• 5 ears fresh corn (husked and kerneled) or 10 oz bag of frozen corn
• 1 12 oz container of Heluva Good! French onion dip
• 1 lime
• Pinch chili powder or cayenne pepper
• 1 tsp jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
• 3 oz Cotija cheese
• 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
• 4 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional)
• Handful of cilantro, chopped
• Handful of potato chips
- Cook bacon until crispy. Chop or crumble and set it aside.
- Heat a heavy-bottomed pan or a cast-iron skillet until it’s about to smoke.
- Blister the corn kernels until they blacken.
- Pour out cooked corn into a large working bowl.
- Add three tbsp or more of Heluva Good! French onion dip, minced jalapeño pepper, chili powder, salt, squeeze of a lime, 2 oz Cotija cheese, chopped cilantro and crumbled bacon. Mix until combined.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and top with remaining Cotija cheese, chopped cilantro, chili powder and crumbled potato chips.
With reporting by Emily Marcus
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on YouTube!