Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen don’t make very many red carpet appearances these days, but the stylish duo turned up at the 2018 CFDA Awards on Monday, June 4, at the Brooklyn Museum to collect their Accessories Designer award, and their fashion not disappoint. Coordinating in long black ensembles (MK in a belted shirt dress and booties and Ash in a monochrome silky top, maxi skirt and pumps), The Row designers proved black is anything but boring and also treated Us to their signature minimalist beauty looks. Ashley arrived with beachy blonde waves that were tousled to perfection, and her mane man Mark Townsend broke down the secret to the ‘do on Instagram.
While we all may not be #blessed with the Olsen twins’ glam squad, Mark shared his simple five-step guide to re-creating the undone tresses.
1. Starting with damp hair, the stylist prepped the former actress’ back-grazing locks with the Honest Beauty Honestly Effortless Sea Salt Spray. The ocean-inspired mist helps to enhance natural texture and add a bit of just-back-from-the-beach grit to the hair.
2. To further enhance the piecey style, Mark used the diffuser attachment on the Dyson Supersonic dryer as he removed all the moisture from the mane.
3. Next, it was time to add lift at the root by spraying “tons” of Dove Dry Shampoo. The oil-absorbing multi-tasker also increases volume and body (i.e. everything you need for a beachy ‘do).
4. To further define Ashley’s waves, Mark went through the hair with the Harry Josh Pro Tools 2-in-1 Ceramic Marcel Curling Iron. The 1.25-inch wand can create everything from Ash’s loose S-waves to super tight ringlets, meaning it gets the job done regardless of how curly or straight your hair is.
5. Lastly, the hair pro returned nourishment and shine to the strands with the Virtue Labs One for All 6-in-1 Styler. Applied to the mid-lengths and ends, the universal styling cream boosts shine, hydration and heat protection to damp or dry hair.
Paired with a no-makeup makeup look a la Ashley or no makeup at all (but a lot of sunscreen!) at the beach, the undone waves are the epitome of cool-girl summertime chic.
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on YouTube!