Goodbye, germs! Kourtney Kardashian just reminded everyone why cleaning out old beauty products is essential.
The Keeping Up With the Kardashians star, 37, had pal and editor of Beauty Banter, Sarah Howard, come over to her house to explain when and why to get rid of lipsticks and glosses in a new video posted on KourtneyKardashian.com, on Tuesday, July 5. "We got rid of so much makeup that I've had for years, and it felt so good," Kardashian wrote in the accompanying post.
In the clip, it's clear that the mom of three hadn't purged her lip shades in quite some time. In fact, she was still holding on to a lip palette her momager, Kris Jenner, had in the '80s and a lipstick she got in Paris before her first child, Mason, now 6, was even a thought in her mind.
"There's mold on this!" Howard screams while holding a vibrant pinky-red lipstick. "I got that before Mason was born in the airport in France," Kardashian calmly replies. "So you've had it for six years?" Howard asks, to which Kardashian responds, "Probably eight."
That's about four times longer than anybody should keep lipstick around, Howard revealed. Scroll down to see all of Howard's beauty hygiene rules:
1) Lipsticks can last about two years before going bad.
2) Lip glosses have a shelf life of 18 to 24 months.
3) Don't ignore the open-lid icon present on many beauty product packaging. The number in the center equals how many months that product can be used once it is opened.
4) Sharpeners should be sanitized regularly so lip liners don't absorb their germs.
5) If you haven't used a product in a year, just throw it away.
What do you think of Kourtney's makeup bag cleanup?
Sign up now for the Us Weekly newsletter to get breaking celebrity news, hot pics and more delivered straight to your inbox!