When it comes to skin, celebs really are just like Us. They battle breakouts, redness, wrinkles, but you’d never know it because they have top docs caring for their famous faces. So we were totally thrilled when Jessica Wu, a dermatologist in Los Angeles, offered to reveal her surprising secret for keeping star clients like Katherine Heigl, Kimora Lee Simmons, and Kat Von D looking flawless.
“Most doctors swear that food doesn’t affect the skin, but that’s not true,” Wu tells UsMagazine.com. “What you eat has everything to do with the condition of your complexion.”
Wu says that these tips will not only help you banish blemishes and wipe out wrinkles, but you’ll also lose weight.
1. Eat a good breakfast, since this will keep your blood sugar balanced all day — which fights breakouts. Make sure it has a balance of protein and carbs. Examples: Oatmeal with nuts on top; eggs and whole wheat toast; Greek yogurt and fruit.
2. To fight wrinkles, make sure you eat green and yellow veggies at least once a day. The cartenoids and other antioxidants can protect your skin from the sun and fight the free radicals that break down collagen over time.
3. Got breakouts? Avoid dairy, which has been linked to acne. Instead, pour soy almond milk in your cereal or coffee.
4. Keep a food diary or keep track of your meals in your iPhone or Blackberry. This way you’ll know what you’re really eating.
5. Trade coffee for green tea, which can help fight sun damage and wrinkles.
6. Snack on almonds or walnuts, which are high in omega-3 fatty acids to help dry skin feel smooth and soft.
7. For thick, healthy hair, eat green beans. They’re one of the richest sources of silicon, a naturally occurring element that strengthens hair and nails.
8. Have a healthy snack every three hours. This will prevent blood sugar swings, which can damage your skin’s collagen and lead to wrinkles.
9. Eat dark chocolate! Full of antioxidants, and no, it doesn’t cause acne — unless it’s super sweet milk chocolate.
10. Stay hydrated with water, club soda, or caffeine free drinks. Dehydrated skin looks dull and saggy.
For Dr. Wu’s complete 28-day diet plan, check out her new book, Feed Your Face.
Sign up now for the Us Weekly newsletter to get breaking celebrity news, hot pics and more delivered straight to your inbox!