Andrew Garfield and Batkid: Make-A-Wish Spokesperson Says the Actor and Young Boy Had a "Great Time" at Disneyland
The happiest place on Earth! Andrew Garfield's Oscar segment with "Batkid" Miles Scott may have been cut, but the Spider-Man actor clearly made up for it. Josh deBerge, the National Communications Manager of Make-A-Wish of America, tells Us Weekly that the pair had a wonderful time during a recent trip to Disneyland.
"We were happy that Andrew, on his own time, drove to Anaheim on Monday to spend time with Miles and his family," deBerge tells Us in a statement. "We understand they had a great time."
The Make-A-Wish Greater Bay Area chapter famously helped Scott fulfill his dream of becoming "Batkid" for one day back in November. At the time, thousands of bystanders cheered the young boy on while he saved San Francisco from DC Comics villains such as The Penguin and The Joker. (Scott was diagnosed with leukemia at 18 months old; he ended his treatments in June 2013 and and is now in remission.)
As previously reported, Garfield, 30, decided to meet-up with Scott and his family at Disneyland in Anaheim, Calif., after their segment was cut from the show. He also invited Scott to the New York City premiere of The Amazing Spider-Man 2.
"In full collaboration with the Academy and the show writer, Andrew prepared a segment for the Oscars to honor Miles Scott as the true hero that he is," Garfield's rep, Rupert Fowler, exclusively told Us on March 6. "At some point overnight on Saturday/Sunday morning, it was decided by those running the show that the segment didn't work in the ceremony." (Avengers star Chris Evans replaced them to present a video tribute to superheroes.)
"They decided to pull it - Andrew and Miles were equally upset," Fowler? continued. "The producers arranged for Miles and his family to visit Disneyland on Monday and Andrew drove down to visit them and to bring Miles a personal gift. Andrew did the right thing for Batkid and anyone saying otherwise is flat out lying."
Page Six previously claimed on March 5 that Garfield had backed out of the Oscars altogether.