As the number of women accusing Bill Cosby of sexual assault continues to grow, there is one who won't leave his side… his wife of 50 years, Camille Cosby.
Camille, who has five children with Bill, released a new statement in support of her husband on Monday.
"I met my husband, Bill Cosby, in 1963, and we were married in 1964. The man I met, and fell in love with, and whom I continue to love, is the man you all knew through his work," she begins. "He is a kind man, a generous man, a funny man, and a wonderful husband, father and friend. He is the man you thought you knew.
"A different man has been portrayed in the media over the last two months. It is the portrait of a man I do not know. It is also a portrait painted by individuals and organizations whom many in the media have given a pass. There appears to be no vetting of my husband's accusers before stories are published or aired. An accusation is published, and immediately goes viral."
Today, the number of "accusers" who have come forward are close to two dozen. Just last week, supermodel Beverly Johnson wrote a chilling and detailed account of an alleged altercation with The Cosby Show alum three decades ago in which he supposedly drugged her. However, Camille goes on to compare coverage of her husband to the Rolling Stone University of Virginia rape story.
"We all followed the story of the article in Rolling Stone concerning allegations of rape at the University of Virginia. The story was heart-breaking, but ultimately appears to be proved to be untrue," she says. "Many in the media were quick to link that story to stories about my husband — until that story unwound.
"None of us will ever want to be in the position of attacking a victim," she concludes. "But the question should be asked — who is the victim?"
For the most part, Cosby has remained mum during the past two months as the scandal continued to unfold. On Friday, he appeared to break his silence when speaking to freelance journalist Stacy Brown.
“Let me say this. I only expect the black media to uphold the standards of excellence in journalism and when you do that you have to go in with a neutral mind,” Cosby, 77, was quoted as saying, neglecting to specifically address any of the rape or sexual assault allegations.
Bill was also supposedly asked how his wife was holding up under the strain.
“Love and the strength of womanhood,” he replied. “Let me say it again, love and the strength of womanhood. And, you could reverse it, the strength of womanhood and love.”
Stacy Brown appeared on Good Morning America today to discuss the brief phone call with the actor.
"He didn't sound like a person under any stress," Brown noted. "In fact, I'd say that he sounded upbeat."
As for Camille, Brown told GMA, "He spoke with such reverence and such appreciation that I have to believe that she's standing by him."
However, the Cosby camp is refuting how the supposed brief interview went down. A lawyer for the actor released the following statement on Monday:
"On Saturday, the New York Post published an article by Stacy Brown indicating that Bill Cosby 'broke his silence' Friday in a discussion with Mr. Brown. Various media outlets have reported on the story with the headline 'Bill Cosby Speaks Out.' Mr. Cosby and Mr. Brown did in fact have a telephone conversation. Mr. Brown identified himself as a free-lance reporter for a number of African-American media outlets, which prompted Mr. Cosby’s comment regarding the African-American media. Mr. Brown did not indicate that he was interviewing Mr. Cosby for publication, did not say that he was reporting for the New York Post, and did not tell Mr. Cosby that the conversation was being recorded. In a discussion of journalistic standards, Mr. Brown failed to adhere to the most basic standards of his profession."
So far, no comment from Brown or the Post.