Cate Blanchett, a Best Actress Oscar frontrunner for her starring role in Woody Allen's latest film Blue Jasmine, has responded to Dylan Farrow's startling open letter that detailed the moment when the award-winning director allegedly sexually-abused her at age 7.
Farrow's shocking first person letter, published Saturday, Feb. 1 in the New York Times, also called out numerous Hollywood big names, including Blanchett and her Blue Jasmine costars Alec Baldwin and Louis CK, for turning a blind eye to Allen's alleged crimes.
"What if it had been your child, Cate Blanchett? Louis CK? Alec Baldwin? What if it had been you, Emma Stone? Or you, Scarlett Johansson? You knew me when I was a little girl, Diane Keaton. Have you forgotten me?" Farrow wrote in her letter, which detailed the alleged 1993 incident from when she was 7. "Woody Allen is a living testament to the way our society fails the survivors of sexual assault and abuse."
Without directly responding to Farrow, Blanchett commented Sunday, Feb. 2 to the Guardian UK: "It's obviously been a long and painful situation for the family," the actress said when asked about the news-making essay at the Santa Barbara Film Festival. "I hope they find some resolution and peace."
Baldwin also addressed the letter, lashing out via Twitter against one fan who told the 30 Rock alum he owes Farrow an apology and "should know better" as as father of two daughters. "What the f&@% is wrong w u that u think we all need to b commenting on this family's personal struggle?" he reacted.
Farrow, now 28, confessed in her essay, "For so long, Woody Allen’s acceptance silenced me. It felt like a personal rebuke, like the awards and accolades were a way to tell me to shut up and go away."
Allen, who was nominated by the Academy just last week for a Best Screenplay Oscar, addressed the claims Sunday, Jan. 2: "Mr. Allen has read the article and found it untrue and disgraceful," his rep told Us Weekly. "He will be responding very soon."