Beauty Crush: Gabrielle Union's Sexy Waves
As baseball season takes full swing, basketball is just coming to an end as Tuesday night kicked off the NBA Finals in Miami. But luckily for celebs sitting courtside at the Dallas Mavericks vs. Miami Heat game, the Floridian humidity wasn't an issue and tresses were in tact all throughout the (enclosed) American Airlines Arena arena. Such was the case with Gabrielle Union, who's effortless waves were the perfect sporty-sexy balance.
The 38-year-old actress, who was at the game cheering on her longtime beau, Miami Heat Guard Dwyane Wade, worked a white striped tank, silver hoop earrings, and kept her makeup simple with flawless skin and defined eyes. And even though her boyfriend’s team won Game 1 in the championship series, we think the big winner was her choice of tousled hairstyle.
To get beachy waves like Union's try using a clipless curling wand -- they're all the rage now and every hair company under the sun is coming out with one. But what makes these different than the tools-with-clamps we've seen for decades? These irons are designed to give you crease-free curls, and since there's no clip to hold the hair, a heat-resistant glove comes in the package. Below is the step-by-step for creating your own tousled look, straight from Us Weekly's beauty team:
1. Divide your hair into three layers (top, middle, bottom), so you can work in small, manageable sections.
2. Wrap your hair behind the wand (as opposed to in front of) to achieve the sexy, wind-blown look that Union sports here.
3. Hold for 10 seconds, slide out the wand, and cup the curl in your gloved hand while it cools. (This is the key to getting your waves to stay.)
4. Slowly let go of the piece and spritz with a firm-hold hairspray.
5. When you're finished, finger comb through your waves to create the beachy texture.
Check out three of our favorite clipless irons above (from top to bottom): T3 Singlepass Whirl, $130; Paul Mitchell Clipless Curling Iron, $75; Remington T-Studio Pearl Professional Curling Wand, $30.