Iggy Azalea: Who is She? Five Things to Know About the Hit-Making Rapper
Iggy Azalea is having a major moment.
The lady rapper has stolen the spotlight and climbed up the charts with her new album, The New Classic, earning her first top five single. She solidified her place in the sun at the Billboard Music Awards on Sunday, May 18, where she performed two songs, "Fancy" and "Problem." Both tracks are currently sitting pretty in the top five on the Billboard Hot 100—"Fancy," a collaboration with Charli XCX at No. 3, and "Problem," a recording with Ariana Grande, at No. 4.
The 23-year-old musician isn't going anywhere anytime soon, so educate yourself on the rising star with five things you need to know.
1. She is your favorite artist's favorite artist. Azalea is quickly became a sought-after collaborator for big-name performers in music. In addition to her duets with Charlie XCX and Ariana Grande, the blonde beauty was recently recruited by Jennifer Lopez for a new song, due out with the release of Lopez's upcoming album AKA. She has also teamed up with Sean Paul, Mac Miller, Diplo, and Steve Aoki, and toured with Beyonce in October 2013.
2. She is secretly an Australian named Amethyst. The star grew up in a small town in New South Wales called Mullumbimby, with a population of just over 3,000 people. She was born Amethyst Amelia Kelly, taking up the stage name Iggy Azalea as she started her career. The pseudonym is inspired from her upbringing, as Iggy is the name of the singer's "old dog" and Azalea is the street that she grew up on, where her family "still lives to this day."
3. She isn't new to the business. The performer began rapping at just 14 years old and moved to the United States at the age of 16 to pursue her music dreams. The transition is referenced in the lyrics to Azalea's first hit, "Work," which debuted in March 2013. She raps, "No money, no family / Sixteen in the middle of Miami." A protege of rapper T.I.'s, the star released an E.P. Glory in July 2012, following up with another extended play, Change Your Life, in October 2013. She was also the first female to be featured on XXL magazine's Freshman Class cover, profiling the most promising up-and-coming acts in hip-hop.
4. She is dating a sports star. Azalea is in a relationship with Los Angeles Lakers baller Nick Young. The couple began their relationship on Twitter of all places, where Young called out the rapper as his "Woman Crush Wednesday." They later met up and began dating in November 2013. She called Young "really goofy and funny," and made her first red carpet appearance with him at Sunday's Billboard Awards. She was previously dating rapper A$AP Rocky and recently edited a tattoo she had on her finger baring his name.
5. She is becoming a big name in fashion as well. Azalea, whose good friend is fellow It Girl Rita Ora, was recently chosen as the star of Revolve Clothing's summer ad campaign. She stuns in the promotional spots, showing off her toned abs in crop tops, and looking chic in oversized shades.