Juan Pablo Galavis Apologizes After He Says a Gay Bachelor Star Wouldn't Be a "Good Example" and ABC Slams His "Careless" Remarks

Entertainment Jan. 18, 2014 AT 2:00PM
juan pablo Bachelor Juan Pablo Galavis told a reporter Friday, Jan. 17 that he does not think "it is a good example" for gays to be on ABC's hit reality series; read the rest of his shocking comments! Credit: ABC/Craig Sjodin

Juan Pablo Galavis is sorry. The latest Bachelor of ABC's hit reality show took to his Facebook page on Saturday, Jan. 18 after sharing his thoughts on a gay bachelor potentially starring in the series one day before at a network party in Pasadena, Calif.

"I want to apologize to all the people I may have offended because of my comments on having a Gay or Bisexual Bachelor," he wrote Saturday. "The comment was taken out of context. If you listen to the entire interview, there's nothing but respect for Gay people and their families. I have many gay friends and one of my closest friends who's like a brother has been a constant in my life especially during the past 5 months."

PHOTOS: Meet Juan Pablo's Bachelorettes

The controversy started Friday evening after a TV Page reporter asked the hunky star whether or not he thought featuring a gay bachelor on the series would be a good idea. Galavis, 32, responded, “I don’t think it is a good example for kids to watch that on TV."

"But I respect them because they want to have kids," the single dad offered of same sex couples. "They want to be parents. So it is a scale… Where do you put it on the scale? Where is the thin line to cross or not? You have to respect everybody’s desires and way of living. But it would be too hard for TV," the former soccer star continued.

The show's first Latino bachelor added in the same interview, "there's this thing about gay people... it seems to me, and I don't know if I'm mistaken or not... but they're more 'pervert' in a sense. And to me the show would be too strong... too hard to watch."

PHOTOS: Bachelor stars' scandalous pasts

ABC, Bachelor executive producers and Warner Horizon Television released the following statement to Us Weekly in response to Galavis' comments on Saturday, Jan. 18: "Juan Pablo’s comments were careless, thoughtless and insensitive, and in no way reflect the views of the network, the show’s producers or studio." The star then promptly issued an apology online.

"The word pervert was not what I meant to say and I am very sorry about it," he wrote Saturday. "Everyone knows English is my second language and my vocabulary is not as broad as it is in Spanish and, because of this, sometimes I use the wrong words to express myself."

PHOTOS: Hollywood's gay power couples

"I meant to say was that gay people are more affectionate and intense and for a segment of the TV audience this would be too racy to accept. The show is very racy as it is and I don't let my 5 year old daughter watch it. Once again, I'm sorry for how my words were taken. I would never disrespect anyone," he wrote in conclusion.

Two episodes of season 18 of The Bachelor have aired so far. Galavis' opinion follows Duck Dynasty patriarch Phil Robertson's comments after the A&E reality star made homophobic and racially-charged comments in a GQ interview.

How we use your email
X

We may use your e-mail address to send you the newsletter and offers that may interest you, on behalf of Us Weekly and its partners. For more information please read our Privacy Policy.

comments powered by Disqus

ADVERTISEMENT