Abby Johnston is heading into her second Olympics, where the diver will go for gold after winning a silver in synchronized diving at the London Olympics in 2012. The newly engaged Duke medical student took a moment before competing to share 25 fascinating facts about herself.
1. I carry hot sauce in my purse.
2. I have terrible test anxiety, but I don’t get nervous wearing a bathing suit in front of millions of people.
3. I love my cat, Miss Lily.
4. I own a ukulele but don’t know how to play.
5. My mom keeps my Olympic silver medal because she thinks I’ll lose it.
6. I eat fast food every Sunday.
7. I have a killer margarita recipe.
8. I met my fiancé (Duke football coach Sam McGrath) because I lost my student ID and he found it.
9. My family calls me Doodle Bug.
10. I currently research heart disease at the Duke Clinical Research Institute.
11. I only drink out of straws.
12. I love country music.
13. I wake up at 6 a.m. most days for practice and school.
14. I’m in my second year of medical school.
15. I train five hours a day and spend another six to eight doing schoolwork.
16. I volunteered in the Duke Brain Tumor clinic as an undergrad.
17. I took magic classes as a kid.
18. Hairstylist is my backup career.
19. I never match my socks.
20. I wave to my mom before every dive in competition.
21. I own 87 bathing suits.
22. My dad tried to turn me into a golfer, but I still can’t play.
23. I got my Olympic rings tattoo from Ami James of NY Ink.
24. I graduated with a psychology degree from Duke University.
25. I’m claustrophobic and avoid elevators at all cost.