Alfre Woodard — who stars in Luke Cage, out on Netflix on June 22 — lets Us Weekly marvel at her personal trivia. Read on to learn 25 things about the 65-year-old actress!
1. I turn food that’s cooking on the grill over with my hands.
2. I speak some Serbo-Croatian.
3. I still remember my junior-high school song and motto.
4. I can learn eight pages of good writing in half an hour.
5. My granddoggy Dawson will get two-thirds of my money. My kids [Mavis, 28, and Duncan, 24] can appeal to him.
6. I make math mistakes while using a calculator.
7. No lotion that works can ever be too expensive.
8. I set the table each night with crystal and silverware and cook, even if I’m alone.
9. I fell in love at first sight with [my husband] Roderick [Spencer]. Perhaps lust.
10. I married him on a polo field [in 1983].
11. I’m finishing up my third passport.
12. My son got a Simba tattoo with the quote “Remember who you are” two months before I was cast as Sarabi [in the live-action remake of The Lion King].
13. In 1972, I spent one night with Yugoslavian bandits.
14. I bared my breast Off Broadway, once, in a play!
15. Acting is the only job from which I haven’t been promptly fired.
16. I was a Girl Scout for eight years.
17. Rats undo me.
18. I must live near a water source, even on overnights.
19. I believe we come into this world completely as ourselves. Just in a tiny form.
20. Marian Wright Edelman of Children’s Defense Fund is my North Star.
21. I make the best gumbo of life.
22. I grew up as an athlete.
23. I became a social and political activist at 14 years old.
24. I cannot draw. Not even a stick figure.
25. Anthony Bourdain is one of the people who affected my mature adult days. Rest in accomplishment.
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on YouTube!