Bill Cosby Ordered to Give Sworn Deposition in Sexual Assault Case in October

Bill Cosby
Bill Cosby has been ordered to give a sworn deposition in October as part of an ongoing lawsuit with alleged 1974 sexual assault victim Judy Huth. Ethan Miller/Getty Images

Moment of truth? Bill Cosby has been ordered by a judge to give a sworn deposition in October as part of an ongoing lawsuit with alleged sexual assault victim Judy Huth.

PHOTOS: Celebrities who are

Read article

The order, which was released on Wednesday, Aug. 5, by a Los Angeles County Superior Court judge, forces Cosby to give a sworn deposition on Oct. 9. The judge-mandated decision was made two weeks after Cosby's request to review the assault case was denied by the California Supreme Court on July 22. This cleared the path for Huth to proceed with litigation in her suit against Cosby. This will be the first time in a decade that Cosby will be forced to discuss the allegations in court.

PHOTOS: Celebs' most outrageous demands

Read article

In her civil suit filed last December, Huth claims that Cosby molested her in a bedroom of the Playboy Mansion more than 40 years ago, when she was 15. Huth's suit alleged that she and a friend met Cosby for drinks at a tennis club. The comedian then invited Huth to Hugh Hefner's Playboy Mansion, where he allegedly forced her to perform a "sex act on [him] without her consent."

PHOTOS: The biggest celeb cheating scandals ever

Read article

While the statute of limitations has passed, Huth is claiming in her suit that she has been suffering from "extreme emotional distress." Cosby's lawyer Marty Singer said the suit was an attempt to extort the Cosby Show star, and subsequently filed a countersuit against Huth under extortion claims.

Cosby, 78, will be questioned by Huth's lawyer Gloria Allred. "We are pleased that we will now be able to move ahead without further delay on Ms. Huth's case," Allred told NBC News on Wednesday.

PHOTOS: Stars who've survived abuse

Read article

The latest in Cosby's case comes after New York magazine's shocking July 27 edition featured 35 accusers coming forward and telling their stories in its cover story. The feature was accompanied by an essay by Noreen Malone, who wrote: "In the '60s, when the first alleged assault by Cosby occurred, rape was considered to be something violent committed by a stranger … But among younger women, and particularly online, there is a strong sense now that speaking up is the only thing to do, that a woman claiming her own victimhood is more powerful than any other weapon in the fight against rape."

Cosby's legal setbacks also coincide with the revelation of a previously hidden court deposition from 2006, in which he detailed his seduction tactics and admitted to paying off women.

For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on YouTube!