UPDATE 7/8 6:41 p.m.: Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings said during a press conference Friday, July 8, that named suspect Micah Xavier Johnson is believed to have carried out the massacre alone and was the sole gunman, the AP reports. According to Rawlings, authorities have concluded that the “shooting came from one building at different levels from one suspect” and that the city can now begin to heal.
Police said Johnson was killed by a robot-delivered bomb after negotiations with him failed.
Governor Greg Abbott concluded that investigators are still looking into whether there were any coconspirators or people who may have known about the attack.
Original story continues below.
Micah Xavier Johnson, the suspect named in the shooting that killed five officers and wounded numerous others during a peaceful protest in Dallas on Thursday, July 7, had weapons and bomb-making materials inside his home, the Dallas Police Department announced in an update on the investigation.
According to a police report, investigators found bomb-making materials, rifles, ammunition, ballistic vests and a personal journal of combat tactics inside the Mesquite, Texas, home of the gunman after searching his house Friday, July 8.
The contents of his journal are currently being investigated.
As previously reported, Johnson specialized in carpentry and masonry in the Army Reserve and was a junior enlisted soldier. According to TMZ, Johnson’s Facebook page revealed that he “liked” several pro-black and Black Panther organizations. He also reportedly belonged to several groups such as “Police the Police.”
A neighbor previously told CNN that Johnson “kept to himself” and lived at the home with his mother. The 25-year-old had no known criminal history or ties to terror groups, the Los Angeles Times reported.
Johnson was killed at an El Centro community college garage by a bomb detonated by police. Police are still investigating whether he carried out the shootings alone or if other suspects were involved.