Walt Disney Company Chairman and CEO Bob Iger released a statement following the deadly alligator attack at Walt Disney World’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa on Tuesday, June 14.
“As a parent and a grandparent, my heart goes out to the Graves family during this time of devastating loss. My thoughts and prayers are with them, and I know everyone at Disney joins me in offering our deepest sympathies,” Iger said in a statement released on Wednesday, June 15.
As previously reported, 2-year-old Lane Graves was killed after an alligator and dragged him into the Seven Seas Lagoon around 9:16 p.m. on Tuesday night. The little boy’s family — who lives in Nebraska — was vacationing at the resort.
Orange County sheriff Jerry Demings told reporters during a press conference on Wednesday that the family — including their 4-year-old daughter — were on the sand at the lagoon, “just simply relaxing out in the area and wading in the water along the lake’s edge at the time the alligator attacked the child.”
Demings said that "the father entered the water and tried to grab his son from the alligator but was unsuccessful," and that the mother also went into the water. They also alerted a nearby lifeguard who tried to help.
The boy’s body was found intact by Florida officials 16 hours later on Wednesday. Demings said that there was “no question” the child died from the attack, calling it “not survivable.”
George A. Kalogridis, president of Walt Disney World Resort, told ABC News in a statement: "There are no words to convey the profound sorrow we feel for the family and their unimaginable loss. We are devastated and heartbroken by this tragic accident and are doing what we can to help the family during this difficult time. On behalf of everyone at Disney, we offer our deepest sympathies."
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on YouTube!