NASCAR driver Kyle Busch was battling a “severe illness” before he died at the age of 41.
Weeks before Busch’s family announced on Thursday, May 21, that he had died suddenly, NASCAR fans heard from him firsthand about his medical woes.
“Can somebody try to find [Dr.] Bill Heisel?” Busch asked on May 10 during a Cup Series race at Watkins Glen in New York, according to his racecar radio audio, which was shared during Fox’s broadcast of the race.
Busch explained at the time, “He’s the kindred doctor guy. Tell him I need him after the race, please.”
After being asked whether he wanted the doctor to meet at his car or at his bus, Busch replied, “Bus. I’m gonna need a shot.”
The broadcaster, meanwhile, told viewers that Busch had been “suffering from a sinus cold all week,” which was made worse by the elevation changes and G-forces he experienced on the course.
Despite needing to meet with the doctor, Busch finished the race, coming in eighth.

Unfortunately, Busch’s medical troubles didn’t end after the May 10 race — although he did continue to compete, finishing 17th at the NASCAR All-Star Race at Dover Motor Speedway on Sunday, May 17.
His health, however, took a turn for the worse in the days that followed. He even announced on Thursday that he would be skipping his first race since 2015.
“Kyle has experienced a severe illness resulting in hospitalization,” the Busch family said in a social media statement shared on Thursday morning. “He is currently undergoing treatment and will not compete in any of his scheduled activities this weekend at Charlotte Motor Speedway. We ask for understanding and privacy as our family navigates this situation.”
Busch’s fans were shocked to hear he wasn’t doing well and would not compete in the Sunday, May 24, Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway. He was also going to miss the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series race at the speedway in Concord, North Carolina, due to his hospitalization.

The last time Busch missed a Cup Series race was in 2015 when he had to skip the first 11 races of the season following a compound leg fracture and broken foot. He sustained the injuries during the Xfinity Series season opener at Daytona International Speedway.
“Kyle Busch’s health is our [utmost] priority and he and his family have the full resources of RCR behind them,” Richard Childress Racing said in a statement on Thursday, confirming that Austin Hill would sub in for Busch in the No. 8 Chevrolet at the upcoming race.
RCR added: “Kyle is an integral part of our organization and we wish him a safe and speedy recovery. His No. 8 Chevrolet will be ready and waiting for him. We’re thankful to Austin Hill for stepping in to drive the No. 8 Chevrolet this weekend. Please keep Kyle and the Busch family in your prayers, and help us respect the family’s privacy at this time.”
Hours later, Busch’s loved ones announced his death in a joint statement with Richard Childress Racing and NASCAR.
“On behalf of the Busch family, everyone at Richard Childress Racing and all of NASCAR, we are devastated to announce the sudden and tragic passing of Kyle Busch,” the statement read on Thursday evening. “Our entire NASCAR family is heartbroken by the loss of Kyle Busch. A future Hall of Famer, Kyle was a rare talent, one who comes along once in a generation. He was fierce, he was passionate, he was immensely skilled and he cared deeply about the sport and fans.”
Busch, a two-time Cup Series champion, is survived by his wife, Samantha, and their two children, Brexton, 11, and Lennix, 4.









