The Interview will have its Christmas miracle after all. Sony Pictures Entertainment confirmed on Tuesday, Dec. 23, that the Seth Rogen and James Franco-headlined comedy will be shown in select theaters, after the studio pulled its theatrical release last week after weeks of hacks, terrorist threats, and much hand-wringing.
“We have never given up on releasing The Interview and we’re excited our movie will be in a number of theaters on Christmas Day,” Michael Lynton, Chairman and CEO of Sony Entertainment said in a statement. “At the same time, we are continuing our efforts to secure more platforms and more theaters so that this movie reaches the largest possible audience.”
In similar fashion, the movie’s stars Rogen and Franco both tweeted victoriously about Sony’s decision to show The Interview. “The people have spoken! Freedom has prevailed! Sony didn’t give up! The Interview will be shown at theaters willing to play it on Xmas day!” Rogen, 32, tweeted Tuesday.
His pal Franco, 36, also expressed joy over the decision. “VICTORY!!!!!!!” he tweeted. “The PEOPLE and THE PRESIDENT have spoken!!! SONY to release THE INTERVIEW in theaters on XMAS DAY!” Franco followed up with a rather comical and intentional flub, praising President Barack Obama for his support.
“CELEBRATING!!!!!” Franco continued. “The Interview starring Seth Rogen and James Flacco saved by President Obacco! I MEAN PRESIDENT OBAMA!!!!! Sorry!!!” (The president called out Sony in his year-end briefing last week for not consulting him before pulling The Interview from theaters. “Yes, I think they made a mistake,” he told reporters in the White House. Obama also hilariously flubbed Franco’s name, pronouncing James Franco as “James Flacco.”)
Sony’s resolute decision comes after a flurry of dramatic events surrounding the film, including the intrusive company hacking scandal that’s exposed email exchanges between top level executives and world-famous talent. Later, the group responsible for the hack — an anonymous group called the Guardians of Peace — threatened terror attacks on theaters that will show the movie. Following the threats, Sony announced Dec. 17, that it was pulling the theatrical release of the film.
The FBI later linked the Nov. 24 hack to the North Korean government, which North Korean officials alter denied. The film stars Rogen and Franco as two journalists recruited by the CIA to assassinate the dictator of North Korea, Kim Jong-un.
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on YouTube!