Kate Middleton Cancels Invictus Games Engagements, Forced to Miss Prince Harry’s Launch as Morning Sickness Continues

Kate Middleton continues to suffer from morning sickness
Kate Middleton continues to suffer from morning sickness Max Mumby/Indigo via Getty Images

Kate Middleton has been forced to cancel two more public engagements as she continues to suffer from acute morning sickness, Kensington Palace tells Us Weekly in a statement.

The Duchess of Cambridge, who announced her second pregnancy on Monday, September 8, is suffering from the same hyperemesis gravidarum she experienced when she was first expecting Prince George.

And while, so far, Kate has avoided having to go into the hospital for her treatment, she remains too unwell to fulfill her royal duties, which means missing brother-in-law Prince Harry's launch events for the Invictus Games on Wednesday and Thursday, Sept. 9 and 10.

"The Duchess of Cambridge will not attend the Opening Ceremony of the Invictus Games this evening or the Athletics event tomorrow," the Palace told Us.

Not that there's likely to be any hard feelings from Prince Harry. As news broke of the Kate and Prince William's happy news on Monday, the younger Prince expressed his sympathy for the pregnant Duchess.

"In all seriousness, I hope my sister-in-law gets better soon,” he said. “The last time I saw her, she was okay. Feeling pretty poorly, but I think that’s to be expected. Luckily I’m not a woman so I don’t have to go through that. It’s a pretty horrible thing.”

The Palace also explained that no decisions had yet been made regarding Kate's anticipated first solo tour of Malta later this month.

"The Duchess's attendance on the forthcoming visit to Malta will be kept under review and a decision taken closer to the time," they said.

In the meantime, Kate remains under close medical supervision at Kensington Palace.

"The Duchess is at her home in Kensington Palace and is being seen regularly by doctors who are treating her," a Palace aide told Us. "She is being looked after by the surgeon gynecologist to the Queen, Alan Farthing, and the surgeon gynecologist to the royal household, Guy Thorpe-Beeston."

Farthing and Thorpe-Beeston were both involved in looking after Kate's first pregnancy and were at Prince George's birth. Professor Marcus Setchell, who delivered Prince George and was subsequently knighted, has since retired.

Sign up now for the Us Weekly newsletter to get breaking celebrity news, hot pics and more delivered straight to your inbox!

Want stories like these delivered straight to your phone? Download the Us Weekly iPhone app now!