Lamar Odom’s Ex Liza Morales Shares Message of Support After He Checks Into Rehab

Nothing but love. Lamar Odom’s ex Liza Morales shared a message of support for the former NBA player in a post to Instagram on Friday, December 16.

“Instead of directly responding to each of the media outlets that have sent emails and dm’s, let me express how proud we are of Lamar for taking the necessary steps in his life’s journey,” Morales, 37, wrote in the post. “This is a private situation that has become public for observation, speculation and judgment. This may be media fodder for some, but Lamar is a father, kin and a friend. Anyone that has dealt (or is dealing) with the same situation with a loved one or friend knows it’s one day at a time. In the meantime, Destiny, Lamar Jr. and I send light and positivity to their dad and hope you can do the same.”

Liza Morales
Liza Morales departs New York Supreme court on March 5, 2013. Jemal Countess/Getty Images

Morales and Odom, 37, were together for 10 years prior to Odom’s high-profile relationship with Khloé Kardashian. The pair share two kids — Destiny, 20, and Lamar Jr., 14. Their youngest son, Jayden, passed away in 2006 at 6 months from SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome).

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOFRWwlgCU5/

As Us Weekly previously reported, the athlete checked himself into rehab recently to “take time to focus on himself.” “He is dedicated to leading a healthy lifestyle and being the best father he can be to his children,” Odom’s rep told Us in a statement on Thursday, December 15. “Lamar asks that the public please respect his privacy at this time and truly appreciates the love and support of his family, friends and fans.”

Lamar Odom
Lamar Odom on April 20, 2012 in New York City Michael Loccisano/Getty Images

On an episode of The Doctors, set to air in January, Odom opens up about the night of his overdose in a Las Vegas brothel in October 2015, which prompted his first stint in rehab.

Asked what he remembers about that night, Odom replied, “Being in that damn brothel and thinking I was going to just rest a little bit. I wasn’t in a good place mentally before that incident happened. Me and my wife at the time were going through some things. I was in a dark place.”

Though it is unclear how long the former NBA star will remain in the rehab facility in San Diego, California, a source confirms to Us that he is set to star in his own reality show focused on his recovery.

“[He] wanted to feel 100 percent again,” a source told Us. “He did not relapse, but felt like he wanted to get away and start fresh for the New Year.”

Sign up now for the Us Weekly newsletter to get breaking celebrity news, hot pics and more delivered straight to your inbox!

Want stories like these delivered straight to your phone? Download the Us Weekly iPhone app now!

Close popup

Welcome to In Motion

Bring photos to life with Us Weekly's exciting new mobile experience!

What's In Motion? Tell me more

What's In Motion?

Go back

How to Use In Motion

What's In Motion? Tell me more