Laverne Cox opened up exclusively to Us Weekly about 25 things you might not know about her — including the hardships she’s experienced as a transgender woman, her favorite memories of performing in school and her favorite HGTV shows. Read on to learn more facts about the executive producer and star of Disclosure.
1. As a child, [I loved eating] two Eggo waffles slathered in margarine (yes, margarine). I’d microwave them for 90 seconds and then saturate them with maple syrup. Delicious!
2. I played Hud in [my alma mater’s production] of Hair during my sophomore year at Indiana University.
3. I was first-runner-up in the Miss Ice Beauty pageant in 1997 at the Pyramid Club in NYC. Tina Sparkles, who was my inspiration to transition, won the pageant.
4. I was a backup dancer for Kevin Aviance for about six months in 1999.
5. I’ve only smoked a cigarette once. I was curious. It was awful.
6. I [performed] in a Gershwin revue [before my] sophomore year of high school.
7. I used to work at Sex and the City costume designer Patricia Field’s legendary store [House of Field] on Eighth Street in NYC.
8. Though I don’t remember, my mom says I hit a fig tree during my road test. I failed.
9. I don’t have a driver’s license.
10. I once sued a New York City hospital for denying me service because I’m trans. Eventually we won and the policy was changed.
11. I was vice president of the student council when I was in eighth grade.
12. I was also a public-speaking champion [that year].
14. [During] my senior year of high school, I used to sneak out of my dorm after curfew by slithering through one of the bars that was removed from the windows by a kid who lived in the room before me.
15. I’ve never smoked weed.
16. I worked in NYC restaurants for 19 years.
17. My first time doing “traditional” drag was when I played Mother Ginger from The Nutcracker in high school.
18. I’ve never been to Amsterdam or Italy. I can’t wait to visit.
19. I sang operatic versions of heavy metal songs (badly) at the legendary queer rock party, SqueezeBox, back in the ’90s in NYC.
20. I was in a car accident in 1994 as a passenger in a taxicab. My nose broke, and one of my front teeth pushed up into my gums.
21. [During] my first time in Miami, in 2009, I went to a club and a bouncer told [me] that they no longer let people “of your gender in anymore.” That was my first day on vacation. I was devastated.
22. I had a fake ID [in college, but] I didn’t use it to drink. I wanted to go to a karaoke bar!
23. In my smallest NYC apartment, I was able to stretch out both my arms and touch either wall.
24. I can eat six Krispy Kreme doughnuts in succession.
25. I have no desire to own a pet, be a parent or get married. But I do believe in love, and I eventually want a life partner.
Disclosure is available to stream on Netflix now.Listen on Spotify to Watch With Us to hear more about your favorite shows and for the latest TV news!
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on YouTube!