Already have an account?
Get back to the

Police Discuss Investigation Into Prince’s Death: No Signs of Trauma, Suicide Unlikely

Prince performs onstage during the 2013 Billboard Music Awards. Ethan Miller/Getty Images

The Carver County Sheriff's Department held a press conference on Friday, April 22, to discuss the investigation into Prince's death after the beloved singer passed away on Thursday, April 21, at age 57.

Deputies briefly made a statement on Friday, a day after the iconic musician was found dead in an elevator at his Paisley Park studio in Chanhassen, Minnesota. The seven-time Grammy winner was pronounced dead at 10:07 a.m. on Thursday, after police had responded to an emergency call at 9:43 a.m. local time.

Related: PHOTOS: Prince Remembered: 15 of His Most Iconic Fashion Moments

"This is a tragedy for all of us," Sheriff Jim Olson told reporters on Friday. "Prince Rogers Nelson was a celebrity. To us, he's a community member and a good neighbor. To his family, he's a loved one."

Prince's autopsy was completed on Friday as well, though results are pending. Authorities said it could be days or weeks for the results to be released, as they are running a full panel of tests, which will include toxicology and tissue samples.

The late singer's body was released to his family after the autopsy was completed, authorities confirmed Friday. 

Related: PHOTOS: Stars Gone Too Soon

"The information we have for now is he was last seen at 8 p.m. on Wednesday night," Sheriff Olson told reporters. "Staff members at Paisley Park were unable to locate Prince yesterday, and went to check on him."

The late singer was alone at the time of his death, police said. Olson added that there were no signs of trauma and that they do not suspect a suicide. "A sign of trauma is that something violent would have happened," Olson explained to reporters. "There is no sign of that at all."

He also added that all of the county's officers carry Narcan, an emergency treatment that is used to reverse drug overdoses. "That was not used at all yesterday," the sheriff said.

Olson also briefly touched on Prince's appearance once authorities arrived. According to police, the elevator was on the first floor when the "Purple Rain" singer was found.

Related: PHOTOS: Celebrity Deaths in 2016: Stars We’ve Lost

"He had on a shirt. He had on pants. He was dressed," Olson said.

"I don't believe there was an elevator phone," Olson continued. "I don't recall a cell phone within the close proximity of where he was at."

Police said they are OK with crowds gathering at Paisley Park as long as Prince's estate does not object. The sheriff reassured reporters that the investigation will be incredibly thorough. "We have no stone unturned with this," Olson said Friday.