Standing by his word. U.S. Olympic athlete Jimmy Feigen still maintains that he and his teammates, including Ryan Lochte, were robbed by gunpoint in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on Sunday, August 14.
“We were robbed at gunpoint. It sounds like people assume we’re guilty,” Feigen, 26, told the San Antonio Express News on Thursday, noting that he would release a statement later in the day about the situation.
Feigen commented on the matter shortly after Brazilian officials claimed that he, Lochte, and fellow swimmers Gunnar Bentz and Jack Conger lied about their night out to cover up an altercation they had with a gas station security guard. (Surveillance video of the men at the gas station was released on Thursday.)
Like Feigen, Lochte, 32, has denied that he fabricated their story. According to the Associated Press, however, Brazilian authorities claim that Bentz, 20, and Conger, 21, came forward on Wednesday night and said that the robbery story was allegedly fabricated.
As previously reported, Brazilian police believe that the men allegedly broke down a door at the gas station around 6 a.m. on Sunday. They apparently fought with a security guard and paid the manager for the damage.
“[They] offered 100 reals and $20,” police told ABC.
Feigen, along with Bentz and Conger, who were all detained at the airport this week, remain in Rio for questioning. Lochte returned to the States before his passport was seized.
“The three U.S. Olympic swimmers (Gunnar Bentz, Jack Conger and James Feigen) are cooperating with authorities and in the process of scheduling a time and place today to provide further statements to the Brazilian authorities,” the United States Olympic Committee spokesman Patrick Sandusky told Us Weekly on Thursday. “All are represented by counsel and being appropriately supported by the USOC and the U.S. Consulate in Rio.”