Already have an account?
Get back to the

Stephen Collins Suicide Report, Police Respond to False Claims

Police responded to false reports of a suicide at Stephen Collins' hom
Police responded to false reports of a suicide at Stephen Collins' home

LAPD responded to ultimately false reports of a suspected suicide at the Los Angeles home of 7th Heaven star Stephen Collins on the evening of Tuesday, Oct. 7, a police spokesman confirms to Us Weekly.

Related: PHOTOS: 7th Heaven cast reunited

"The officers walked into the house, it was empty," a spokesman for West Valley Police Department told Us. "No one was home and there was no evidence of any shooting or gunshot, nothing happened."

Reports of the suspected suicide were made when press, stationed outside the 67-year-old actor's home, heard suspicious noises that sounded like gunfire, local news radio station KABC reported.

Related: PHOTOS: Celebrity scandals

Former Baywatch star Donna D'Errico, who lives in the same Tarzana neighborhood, fuelled the rumor, sending out a tweet that Collins had taken his own life. She later deleted her tweet, explaining she was just passing on neighborhood gossip.

"I just tweeted out what I was being told by my neighbor who were on scene," she wrote. "I apologize for tweeting what I'd heard before confirming it."

The false reports of a suicide came just hours after a recording surfaced of the actor reportedly confessing to child molestation on Tuesday, Oct. 7.

PHOTOS: 90s TV stars, then and now

As previously reported, TMZ published a tape of Collins allegedly revealing his actions during a therapy session with his estranged wife, actress Faye Grant. Grant taped the conversation without his knowledge in 2012.

In the graphic recording, Collins appears to admit to molesting a relative of his first wife, Marjorie Weinman, "a couple of times." A second victim was an L.A. neighbor and the third was from New York and 12 or 13 at the time. Collins has yet to comment on the matter.


The Los Angeles police are continuing their investigations into the events of last night.

“We don’t know who made the call, it’s still under investigation to see if it’s a prank or not,” the police spokesman added.

In this article