Fans watched and fell in love with Diem Brown on seven seasons of MTV’s The Challenge. Beginning in January, they’ll have one more chance to see her light up the screen, this time on Battle of the Exes II, which Brown was filming in Panama this past August when she learned her cancer had returned. On Tuesday, Dec. 16, MTV premiered the first trailer for the new season, which also features the late Ryan Knight in his final appearance on the show.
The trailer begins with a quote from Brown, who died on Nov. 14 at age 32. “Things happen, but you can’t keep on waiting,” she proclaims in the video, over a shot of her being picked up and carried by on-again, off-again love CT Tamburello. “If you want something, go for it.”
From there, the trailer flashes to Brown, Knight, and their fellow competitors putting it all on the line in various physical challenges — and then facing off in emotional battles with their exes, too. “This is the game,” one contestant says in a voice-over. “It’s dirty, it’s ugly, it’s really not fair.”
The Challenge: Battle of the Exes II premieres on Jan. 6 at 11 p.m. on MTV. As previously announced, the season is dedicated to Brown and Knight, who died at age 29 in late November, less than two weeks after Brown’s passing.
“It’s hard on everyone. We get very involved in these cast members’ lives, and we’ve known them — whether it was Pedro [Zamora], or whether it was Diem, or whether it was Knight — we’ve known them for years, and we sort of watch them mature,” The Real World creator Jonathan Murray told Entertainment Tonight of the stars’ deaths. (Zamora, an AIDS educator, was on The Real World: San Francisco in 1994; he died later that same year at age 22 of progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy.)
“It’s devastating for all of us,” Murray added. “They loved being on The Real World or on The Challenge, and it’s great that that video of them, that story of them, actually exists on video.”
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on YouTube!