November 1 means one thing: There’s likely a ton of leftover Halloween candy in your house and you don’t have the faintest idea what to do with all of it. Luckily, chef Adam Richman does!
The Secret Eats With Adam Richman host uses just about any All Hallow’s Eve stragglers to make broken-candy ice cream sandwiches, which is a inventive and tasty way to recycle untouched treats.
The recipe, which appears in Richman’s cookbook, Straight Up Tasty: Meals, Memories, and Mouthfuls From My Travels, calls for the trifecta of sweets: candy (duh), cookies and ice cream. “Chocolate chip cookies and vanilla ice cream are safe choices here, but you can really use any kind of cookie or ice cream filling that you like,” Richman tells Us Weekly. “Go crazy!”
Check out the recipe below and prepare for a sugar coma accordingly!
Adam Richman’s Broken-Candy Ice Cream Sandwich
Makes 1 serving
• 1 whole Hershey’s Krackel or Nestle Crunch bar, or a 1.69-ounce bag of plain M&M’s
• 2 large chocolate chip cookies
• 1 large scoop of vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
• 2 tbsps (or more) of hazelnut spread or Marshmallow Fluff
- Put the candy in a sealable plastic bag and roll over it with a rolling pin to break the candies into small chunks. (You can also place the bag underneath a heavy cutting board and press down on the board to achieve the same result.) Pour the broken bits onto a plate.
- Put one cookie on a plate and then put the scoop of ice cream on top.
- Using a soup spoon or a melon baller, cut out a deficit from the center of the scoop of ice cream, leaving a hole – essentially, it should look like a “doughnut” of ice cream.
- Place the hazelnut spread or marshmallow fluff in the hole, enough to fill it up.
- Top with the second cookie and press until the ice cream is almost squeezing out the sides.
- Roll the sandwich like a wheel in the broken candy to completely cover the exposed surface of the ice cream.
- Wrap the sandwich in plastic wrap and freeze until hardened.
Courtesy of Straight Up Tasty, Clarkson Potter, 2015
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on YouTube!