Buddy Valastro is here to make your holiday celebrations a bit sweeter! The celebrity chef may be known for his expertise with cakes, but his culinary skill set extends way beyond dessert, even if cake is in the forefront of his mind.
Case in point: Valastro, 41, is sharing his panettone French toast recipe with Us Weekly. The dish, which is on the menu at the reality star’s Buddy V’s Ristorante outposts across the country, combines the breakfast classic with panettone – an Italian sweet bread loaf typically eaten around Christmas.
“This dish is a big holiday tradition around the Valastro household and something we love devouring on a winter morning,” the Cake Boss star explained to Us. “The smell is intoxicating!”
And even though the recipe below is kid-friendly and liquor-free, Valastro adds that he often puts his “own little spin” on the dish by adding amaretto liqueur, which makes the French toast “that much more memorable and delicious.”
Check out the recipe for yourself, below!
Buddy Valastro’s Panettone French Toast
Makes 1-2 servings
For the batter
• 2 cups egg
• 1 1/4 cup milk
• 1 tsp cinnamon
• 1 tsp vanilla
• 5 tbsp sugar
For the French toast
• 2 tbsp butter, for cooking
• 2 slices panettone
• Maple syrup, to top
• 1 tbsp golden raisins
• 1/4 cup whipped cream
• 1 orange, to zest
- Mix all batter ingredients in a bowl and transfer to a deep dish or wide bowl that will fit panettone slices.
- Heat up a griddle or nonstick pan to medium heat and add butter, being careful not to burn.
- Place panettone into the batter and soak each side for about 20 seconds. Put directly into the hot pan.
- Cook each side until a dark brown.
- Cut each side diagonally and arrange the four triangles on a plate, pour warm maple syrup over the top, sprinkle the raisins and garnish the center with whipped cream.
- Using a fine grater, zest a small amount of the orange over the toast.
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on YouTube!