Gordon Ramsay’s Hell’s Kitchen restaurant in Las Vegas is apparently taking its name a bit too seriously. The eatery, which is located just in front of Caesars Palace, is in hot water after a flaming drink served there sent two patrons to the hospital with severe burns.
A Twitter account called Vital Vegas, which shares news and tips about Sin City, first tweeted about the incident on Thursday, August 2, writing, “[A] customer at Hell’s Kitchen at Caesars reports someone at bar was just ‘engulfed in flames.’” The tweet also noted there was already an EMT on-site.
A spokesperson from Caesars Palace tells Us Weekly, “Unfortunately, two guests were injured at Gordon Ramsay Hell’s Kitchen at Caesars Palace Thursday night. We have offered to provide any assistance they may need to help them through this difficult time.”
The Las Vegas Review-Journal, reports the dangerous drink in question was a tiki-style cocktail called the Rum Donkey. Ingredients in the $14 beverage include Cruzan single barrel rum, falernum, brown sugar, ginger beer and torched passion fruit.
“The particular type of specialty drink served at Hell’s Kitchen is served at the finest restaurants worldwide without incident,” Caesars Palace’s statement to Us continues. “But, out of an abundance of caution, Hell’s Kitchen has removed the flame component from the drink item at issue.”
Despite the statement, however, the flaming libation still appears on Hell’s Kitchen’s online menu with all of its components.
The statement concluded, “All of us here at Caesars Palace and the Gordon Ramsay Restaurant Group are concerned for the injured guests, and are hopeful for their speedy recovery.”
Ramsay, who has not commented or tweeted about the incident, has had a rough few weeks. His mentor, renowned chef Joël Robuchon, died on Monday, August 6, and late last month the MasterChef host was under fire for his new National Geographic show, Uncharted, which is upsetting fans of the late Anthony Bourdain.