Now is your chance to be just like Meghan Markle! The pregnant Duchess of Sussex made banana bread on October 15 during her first royal tour to Australia with husband Prince Harry, and though Meghan is known to be quite the cook, this sweet treat is actually a cinch to whip up.
According to reporters who were lucky enough to nab a slice of Meghan’s banana bread, her recipe included ginger and chocolate chips, but since banana bread is so versatile there’s obviously more than one way to make the tea time staple.
For Chopped star Maneet Chauhan, who has had the honor of cooking meals for the likes of Harry’s pals, Barack and Michelle Obama, banana bread includes ground green cardamom and black pepper, which provide a flavorful boost, as well as pecans, which add a hearty crunch.
However, if you’re looking to make a banana bread more in line with Meghan’s, try swapping the green cardamom and pepper for ginger, and replacing the pecans with chocolate chips. Check out the recipe below and feel free to tweak it as you wish, or not!
Maneet Chauhan’s Banana Bread
Makes 9 servings
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 cup whole wheat flour
• 1 tsp baking soda
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 1 tsp ground green cardamom
• 1/4 tsp black pepper (freshly powdered)
• 1/2 cup salted butter, softened to room temperature
• 3/4 cup piloncillo or dark brown sugar
• 2 large eggs, at room temperature
• 1/3 cup sour cream
• 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas
• 1/2 cup pureed dates
• 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
• 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Whisk the flours, baking soda, salt, cardamom and pepper together in a large bowl.
- Beat the butter and brown sugar together on high speed until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. On medium speed, add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in the sour cream, mashed bananas, dates and vanilla extract on medium speed until combined. With the mixer running on low speed, slowly beat the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until no flour pockets remain. Do not overmix.
- Fold in the pecans.
- Pour in prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees until done.
Sign up now for the Us Weekly newsletter to get breaking celebrity news, hot pics and more delivered straight to your inbox!