“The visit was supposed to be a surprise and not meant to cause any hysteria,” a source close to the 28-year-old rapper tells Us. “Travis did post about the event [on social media]. His fans were the ones who found out before Travis even arrived and flooded the McDonald’s. Travis will comply and pay all fines associated with the incident.”
The Downey Police Department tweeted on September 8 that Scott’s appearance “was neither approved nor permitted by the City of Downey,” so its officers “were dispatched in response to a large crowd gathered and focused on traffic and pedestrian safety concerns until the crowd dispersed.” No injuries were reported at the fast-food restaurant, and no one was arrested.
Today’s Travis Scott appearance at McDonald’s was neither approved nor permitted by the City of Downey. DPD units were dispatched in response to a large crowd gathered and focused on traffic and pedestrian safety concerns until the crowd dispersed. No injuries were reported.
— Downey Police (@DowneyPolice) September 8, 2020
A spokesperson for the police department told TMZ on Wednesday, September 16, that approximately 500 fans attended the gathering. The Grammy nominee did not obtain the necessary permits to have an event of more than 200 people or to film at the McDonald’s, according to citations obtained by the website. Each ticket had a $100 fine.
Scott went live on Instagram as he arrived. He showed up shirtless and repeatedly shouted, “I need a shirt!” to members of his team, who gave him a red McDonald’s tee to put on in the parking lot. During the livestream, several attendees were seen without face masks amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
A rep for McDonald’s, which was also fined, tells Us, “Last week, Travis Scott stopped by a McDonald’s restaurant in Downey, California, to kick off the launch of his signature order, ‘The Travis Scott’ meal. Per McDonald’s standard safety protocol, all restaurant crew, staff members and security on site were required to wear face masks. While the restaurant was closed to the public, a group of fans got wind he was there and gathered outside. In true Cactus Jack fashion, Travis’s fans got involved and greeted him as he was going live on Instagram. After the small crowd grew and social-distancing could no longer be observed, security safely escorted Travis from the restaurant and the crowd dispersed. McDonald’s paid a small fine that was issued by the city of Downey for the unsolicited gathering of fans.”
The “Sicko Mode” MC is the first celebrity to have his name on the McDonald’s menu since Michael Jordan in 1992. The chain’s Travis Scott Meal, which is available from September 8 to October 4 for $6, consists of his three favorite menu items: a Quarter Pounder with Cheese (with bacon and lettuce added as toppings), a medium order of fries with Tangy BBQ sauce and a Sprite with extra ice.
Scott and his label, Cactus Jack Records, also teamed up with McDonald’s to release limited edition merchandise in addition to vowing to support various charities during the monthlong promotion.
“I couldn’t be more excited to bring the Cactus Jack x McDonald’s collaboration to life,” the entertainer said in a statement on September 3. “We are bringing together two iconic worlds. Including a charitable component was key for me, and I can’t wait for people to see what we have in store.”
Many locations have since sold out of the meal. In a statement, McDonald’s said, “We’re working closely with our suppliers, distributors and franchisees to resupply impacted restaurants as quickly as possible.”Listen to Us Weekly's Hot Hollywood as each week the editors of Us break down the hottest entertainment news stories!
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on YouTube!