Vegan barbecue? Sign Us up! With stars such as Beyoncé and Kim Kardashian shifting to increasingly plant-based diets, there’s never been a better time to ditch meat, even if it’s just for a meal or two.
If you ‘re on the hunt for some plant-based eats that are as flavorful as they are healthy, look no further than the tasty vegan corn ribs from Honeybee’s in New York City’s East Village.
The newly opened cocktail bar is billed as a sultry and sophisticated saloon straight out of the Wild West, paired with the casual and nostalgic air of down-home barbecue. The chic lounge features an all-vegan BBQ menu from chef Amira Gharib, who was previously at The Matador Room in Miami. That eatery was a favorite among famous faces such as Enrique Iglesias and Common.
What’s more? Honeybee’s boasts a bourbon and rye-led bar program from Death & Co and Amor y Amargo team Ravi Derossi and Sother Teague.
Curious about how to make corn ribs? Scroll down for the vegan-friendly recipe!
Vegan Corn Ribs
Makes 4 servings
For the ribs:
• 4 ears corn
• Canola oil, for frying
• Enough pimento aioli to coat corn (see recipe below)
• Grated, raw macadamia nuts, for garnish
• Barbecue spice and fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
For the cashew sour cream:
• 4 cups cashews
• Enough water to cover cashews
• Dash of apple cider vinegar
• Salt, to taste
For the pimento aioli:
• 3 charred red peppers, finely chopped
• 3 piquillo peppers, finely chopped
• 4 oz Violife cream cheese
• 1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/4 tsp sugar
• 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
• 1/8 tsp black pepper
• 1/8 tsp paprika
• 1/2 cup dill pickles, finely chopped
• 1 lb cheddar cheese, grated
For the habanero relish:
• 1/2 cup lime juice
• 3/4 cup red onion, finely diced
• 1 tbsp habanero pepper
• 1 jalapeño, chopped
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• Salt to taste
For the barbecue spice:
• 2 tbsp Spicy Paprika
• 2 tbsp Sweet Paprika
• 3 tbsp Brown Sugar
• 1 tbsp Thyme
• 1 tbsp Onion Powder
• 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
• 1 tsp Black Pepper
• 1 tsp Cumin
• 1/2 tsp Cayenne
- To make the cashew sour cream, let the cashews ferment in water for two to three days. Once fermented, drain the water, then blend cashews on high speed with apple cider vinegar and enough water to create a silky, smooth mixture. Season with salt to taste.
- To make the pimento aioli, char the red peppers until they are black. Peel and chop them finely. Do the same with the piquillo peppers, as needed.
- Combine the peppers with cream cheese and all spices. Then, fold in the pickles and grated cheddar cheese.
- Place mixture into a blender and thin out with water until the aioli has a sauce-like consistency. Set aside.
- To make the habanero relish, combine the lime juice, red onion, habanero, jalapeño, garlic and salt. Set aside.
- To make the ribs, peel and clean the corn husks. Cut each piece of corn down the middle (vertically) and then into quarters from the top down, being careful not to squash the kernels. Set aside.
- Fry seven to eight corn pieces at a time in a large skillet with canola oil until golden and curled.
- To assemble, toss each piece of corn with pimento aioli and set over a ring of cashew sour cream. Place a teaspoon of relish on the sides of the corn. Garnish with raw macadamia nuts, barbecue spice and cilantro leaves and serve.
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on YouTube!