In Westwood, Calif. Tuesday night, Rachel McAdams stepped out for the Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows premiere in a dazzling silver gown with a long, trailing train by Marchesa.
To complement the star's dramatic dress and its deep, low-cut back, the actress, 32, and her hair pro chose to create an ornate updo to show off the details of her evening wear.
"For the Sherlock Holmes premiere I wanted Rachel's hair to be very soft and romantic — almost Grecian — to go with her Marchesa dress," celebrity hairstylist Mark Townsend tells Us Weekly. Below, he shares the six steps to follow if you want to recreate the star's hairdo.
1. Apply a large dollop of Dove Curl & Sculpt Defining Mousse ($6, walmart.com) to her damp hair and blow-dry with hands, scrunching the hair as it dries.
2. Take 2-inch sections of hair and spray each with Dove Flexible Hold Hairspray ($4.59, drugstore.com) before wrapping it around a small 1/2-inch curling iron. This spray gives the hair the perfect amount of hold that you can brush through and keep styling with.
3. When all the hair had been curled, spray Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray ($39, neimanmarcus.com) all over the hair to break up the curls and give the hair a slightly roughed-up texture.
4. Take 1 to 4-inch sections of hair and create small buns or chignons with each section, pulling the sides and top sections of hair to the back of the head, and secure each section with bobby pins.
5. Use fingers to loosen the sides of the hair and to create a little lift on top, leaving a few flyaway hairs loose for a soft, romantic feeling.
6. Finish with an extra-hold hairspray all over to keep the style in place all night.
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on YouTube!