David Foster has declined an offer to organize President-elect Donald Trump's inauguration. The news comes a day after the New York Post's Page Six reported that the music producer, 67, was scheduled to arrange the performers for the January 20 ceremony.
"I was invited to participate and I politely declined," Foster said in a statement to Us Weekly on Saturday, December 17. "I have no idea where this story came from. Neither me nor my manager was ever contacted by Page Six or any other media outlet."
Foster has been friends with Trump, 70, for years, but he reportedly supported Democratic rival Hillary Clinton in the 2016 presidential election. Earlier in the week, on Wednesday, December 14, the Canadian producer and his rumored new girlfriend, supermodel Christie Brinkley, were spotted chatting with Clinton, 69, while on a date at the Polo Bar in New York City.
"Christie is a steadfast Hillary fan and supporter and went up to Hillary," a source tells Us of the encounter. "Hillary was very gracious and chatted with her. There was a lot of love in the room for Hillary that night and people applauded her."
Us Weekly previously reported that America's Got Talent season 5 runner-up Jackie Evancho is scheduled to perform at Trump's inauguration next month. Andrea Bocelli was also rumored to take the stage, but a source tells Us the Italian classical singer, 58, has yet to confirm or accept the offer. "He is merely on Trump's wish list," the insider adds.
Evancho, meanwhile, confirmed the news during an interview on the Today show on Wednesday. "I have recently been asked by the president-elect to perform the national anthem for the swearing-in ceremony at the inauguration, and I am so excited," the 16-year-old singer said. "It's gonna be awesome! I felt really honored. To be able to sing for the office, it's a great honor for me."
Want stories like these delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up now for the Us Weekly newsletter!