The legal battle between Dr. Luke and Kesha continues. The producer’s lawyers released a statement to Us Weekly on Monday, February 22, slamming the “TiK ToK” singer’s allegations following Dr. Luke’s court victory on Friday, February 19. In the lengthy statement, Dr. Luke’s attorneys also reiterate that Kesha is allowed to record and release music without Dr. Luke.
As previously reported, Kesha was denied an injuction to be released from her Sony contract with Dr. Luke, despite her claims that he physically, mentally and sexually abused her. Following her loss, Kesha’s fans, as well as celebrities such as Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga, Demi Lovato and Kelly Clarkson, rushed to her aid. Swift even donated $250,000 to the pop star to help cover legal costs.
Below is the statement from Dr. Luke’s lawyers:
“The New York County Supreme Court on Friday found that Kesha is already ‘free’ to record and release music without working with Dr. Luke as a producer if she doesn’t want to. Any claim that she isn’t ‘free’ is a myth. The sound decision Friday by the Court in denying Kesha’s motion for an injunction made it clear Kesha’s allegations of purported abuse were unconvincing and that she had no basis to void record contracts and copyrights. Dr. Luke and his companies invested in Kesha’s success through their contributions, Sony Music has already spent over $11 million promoting Kesha, and Sony Music and its label Kemosabe Records are committed to continuing to promote her work.
"More significantly, the Court also noted multiple times that her vague abuse allegations were devoid of factual detail, and that there was no evidence, whether from doctors or anyone else, to support them.
"Tellingly, Kesha never reported any purported abuse or rape to any law enforcement authority, or even to Sony Music, and further swore under oath in another matter, while accompanied by her team of lawyers, that it never occurred. The goal of Kesha’s counsel throughout has been to obtain a more lucrative contract through a shameless campaign of outrageous claims they will never stand behind in a court of law.
"As Dr. Luke has said repeatedly, the allegations against him are outright lies that have been advanced to extort a contract renegotiation and money. Kesha and her counsel have cavalierly subjected Dr. Luke and his family to trial by Twitter, using a vicious smear campaign to ruin his reputation for financial gain while failing to support their claims. Kesha to date has never verified the allegations in this case — even when given the opportunity in her affidavit. Nor has she ever offered a credible explanation as to why she would have signed a second recording agreement, recorded two albums and an EP and signed a publishing deal with Dr. Luke after allegedly being sexually abused. It will further be shown that the incidents alleged never happened.”
Kesha’s lawyer, Mark Geragos, previously told Us that Dr. Luke “threatened that if she ever mentioned the rape to anyone, he would shut her career down, take away all her publishing and recording rights, and otherwise destroy not only her life but her entire family’s lives as well” so Kesha "never dared talk about, let alone report, what Dr. Luke had done to her.”
According to a source, Kesha plans on continuing to fight Dr. Luke.
“It’s not over yet. Yes, it’s been difficult, but everybody is rooting for her and there were two other motions to dismiss that were tabled at the hearing so there is more to come” the insider tells Us. “This was a horrible blow, but she is going to keep fighting.”