In a new letter on his website, John Travolta thanks the cast of his new thriller The Taking Of Pelham 1 2 3 for promoting the film as he continues to mourn the loss of his 16-year-old son, Jett.

"[Director] Tony [Scott], Denzel [Washington], Luis [Guzman], John [Turturro], James [Gandolfini] and Sony Pictures stepped up without hesitation to help promote this wonderful film, and their unselfish efforts have allowed my family the additional time to reconcile our loss," he writes.

Travolta added that his villainous role -- which he calls "the ultimate evil -- "gave me the chance to dispense with all moral and ethical limitations, and explore just how bad this character could really be. I believe you will like the result."

Before signing off, he tells fans to set their calendars for opening day, June 12. "I promise you," Travolta writes, "you won't be disappointed."

See the latest John Travolta news

Travolta skipped last week's premiere, but costar Washington told Us the actor and his wife Kelly Preston "are doing as well as one can expect." "It's a tough situation," he told Us. Jett Travolta died unexpectedly after a seizure in the Bahamas while the family was vacationing in January.