A Pennsylvania judge ruled on Tuesday, May 24, that Bill Cosby will stand trial on sexual assault charges stemming from Andrea Constand's claims that the comedian drugged and violated her in 2004.
The former Temple University employee claimed in a 2005 statement to police that Cosby, 78, invited her to his home in 2004, according to the Associated Press. The star, who is a Temple alum and was a member of its Board of Trustees, allegedly told her to wear comfortable clothes and gave her two pills to "take the edge off."
Cosby faces three counts of felony indecent assault and 10 years in prison if convicted, NBC reports. Cosby and Constand reportedly settled a lawsuit for an undisclosed sum more than 10 years ago. He was also charged in December 2015 with a second-degree felony stemming from the case, and the judge set bail at $1 million.
Following the hearing, Cosby’s attorney Brian McMonagal released a statement to Us Weekly criticizing the prosecution and Constand, who was the first woman to come forward and make accusations against the comedian.
“Mr. Cosby is not guilty of any crime and not one single fact presented by the Commonwealth rebuts this truth,” McMonagal said. “Though the Court decided the government reached the low threshold required for today’s preliminary hearing, we have no doubt this case ultimately will be resolved in Mr. Cosby’s favor."
Constand, now a resident of Toronto, was not in attendance for the hearing on Tuesday. Cosby's next court date is on July 20.
Cosby has been faced with several sexual abuse allegations over the years from dozens of women. Last July, 35 of his alleged victims posed together for a controversial New York magazine cover. The comedian has previously filed defamation suits against seven women who made claims against him.
Sign up now for the Us Weekly newsletter to get breaking celebrity news, hot pics and more delivered straight to your inbox!