1. I love to snack on hot chili peppers, and I put hot sauce on everything.
2. I’m a total policy wonk, although that’s a pretty poorly kept secret.
3. I met Martin Luther King Jr. when I was 14. The youth minister at our church took us to see him speak and I got to shake his hand.
4. I can’t carry a tune for the life of me. My choir teacher used to ask me to mouth the words. I used to sing to my daughter, Chelsea, when she was a baby, until she said, “No sing, Mommy, no sing.” My friends can’t believe I sang on Saturday Night Live.
5. Bill Clinton proposed to me twice before I said yes.
6. I was a United States senator from New York when 9/11 happened, and I still feel a real commitment to making sure that the first responders who ran toward danger are getting the health treatment they deserve.
7. As secretary of state, I went to 112 countries and flew 956,733 miles. (Yes, somebody counted!)
8. My dad, Hugh Rodham, was a small-businessman. He printed fabric for drapes. We all helped out.
9. In between campaign stops and reading piles of briefing papers and news clips, I like to relax by reading mystery novels.
10. When I was a girl, I wrote to NASA to ask if I could become an astronaut. They wrote a very polite letter back saying they didn’t take girls.
11. Chocolate is my weakness … as are Goldfish.
12. My mom, Dorothy Rodham, was a Democrat and my dad, Hugh, was a Republican. So every election, they canceled out each other’s vote.
13. I am, and always will be, a Beatles fan. I also really love Adele.
14. One of the things I love best about campaigning is the personal stories people share with me. Some of them are heartbreaking. Some are inspiring. I learn from all of them. It’s really important for me to know firsthand what’s happening in people’s lives.
15. When I’m in New York, I ride around in a big conversion van. It has big comfy seats and a real power outlet. I kicked off my campaign by driving to Iowa in it.
16. My first job out of law school was with the Children’s Defense Fund. I didn’t want to join a big firm. I wanted to be a lawyer for poor kids. Working to give every child a better shot at the future has been my focus ever since.
17. Bill and I love going on long walks with our two dogs, Maisie and Tally. We were on one of those walks when President [Barack] Obama called to ask me to be his secretary of state.
18. The question I got most frequently when I traveled overseas was, “How can you be working for the man who defeated you?” Why did I do it? Because when your president asks you to serve, you say yes. I couldn’t be more glad that I did.
Seven years ago today, Hillary and then-Senator Obama came together in Unity, NH after a hard-fought campaign—the start of a partnership that would continue in the President’s administration. In Hillary’s words: “People all over the world have asked me: ‘How could you and President Obama work together after you fought so hard against each other in that long campaign?’ But President Obama asked me to serve, and I accepted because we both love our country. That’s how we do it in America.”
19. My mom always told me, “Everyone falls down. What matters is that you pick yourself up and keep going.” Best advice I ever got.
20. Here’s one that won’t surprise anyone: I’ve been coloring my hair for years.
21. I once had a job “sliming” salmon at an Alaska cannery. It was as glamorous as it sounds.
22. One of the things I’ve learned on the campaign trail is how serious the problem of substance abuse has become in our country. I’m determined to take it on.
23. I do yoga. Not enough.
24. I stay in touch with a lot of people from all parts of my life, and see them as often as I can. Most recently, while in Chicago, I got to see Betsy Ebeling, my best friend from growing up in Park Ridge, Illinois.
25. I’m the grandchild of a lace mill worker [Hugh Simpson Rodham]. And the grandmother of Charlotte [18 months], the most perfect grandchild in the world!
For more information, go to Clinton’s website. And for our exclusive interview with Clinton and much more, pick up the new issue of Us Weekly, on stands Wednesday!
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on YouTube!