Tracy Morgan is defending himself against Walmart's most recent claims. On Monday, Sept. 29, The Hollywood Reporter obtained court documents in which the retailer faulted the comedian for not wearing a seat belt during the six-car accident on the New Jersey Turnpike this past June that left him in critical condition. Morgan, however, isn't having that.
"After I heard what Walmart said in court I felt I had to speak out," the 30 Rock star, who is suing the retailer, told Us Weekly in a statement on Sept. 30. "I can't believe Walmart is blaming me for an accident that they caused. My friends and I were doing nothing wrong. I want to thank my fans for sticking with me during this difficult time. I love you all. I'm fighting hard every day to get back," he added.
After Morgan's limo was struck by Walmart truck driver Kevin Roper, the actor was hospitalized in critical condition with a broken leg, a broken femur, a broken nose, and broken ribs. Fellow passenger James McNair, a comedy writer, was killed.
As previously reported, Morgan's lawsuit claims "Walmart was careless and negligent in the ownership and operation of its motor vehicle, which caused Mr. Morgan to suffer severe personal injuries."
Walmart, for its part, also released a statement on Tuesday. Company spokesperson Brooke Buchanan tells Us Weekly: "Walmart is committed to working to resolve all of the remaining issues as a result of the accident. As part of the ordinary course of legal proceedings, Walmart filed an initial response yesterday to the lawsuit that included facts and defenses that may impact the case moving forward. While we were required to respond to the lawsuit, we have also taken steps to encourage settlement discussions. Our thoughts continue to go out to everyone involved, and we remain committed to doing what’s right."
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on YouTube!