Maneet Chauhan has had the honor of cooking elaborate meals for the likes of Barack and Michelle Obama during the former first couple’s time in the White House, but that doesn’t mean she’s forgotten her comfort food staples.
In fact, the Chopped judge, who opened her first restaurant called Chauhan Ale and Masala House in Nashville, Tennessee, in 2014, shared her grilled cheese recipe with Us Weekly in honor of National Sandwich Month, which spans the entire month of August.
Made with roasted cumin powder, green chili, cilantro, red chili powder, garam masala, cheddar and American cheese, Chauhan’s “exotic” take on a grilled cheese, which is one of the most popular dishes at her namesake restaurant, adds heat to the sandwich you never knew you needed.
“There’s nothing more simple than a grilled cheese,” Chauhan tells Us. “We’ve added Indian spices to our take on the classic American sandwich that’s perfect for dipping in lentil curry soup.”
Check out the complete recipe below, and try the flavorful sandwich for yourself before National Sandwich Month is over!
Chauhan’s Grilled Cheese
Makes 1 serving
• 1/2 cup grated cheese (cheddar and American)
• 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
• 1 tsp finely chopped ginger
• 1/4 tsp garam masala
• 1/4 tsp roasted cumin powder
• 1/4 tsp red chili powder
• 1 green chili finely chopped or according to taste
• Salt, to taste
For the sandwiches
• 2 thick slices of sourdough
• 2 oz cheese filling
• 2 tbsp butter
- Combine all cheese filling ingredients in a bowl.
- Cover one slice of bread with filling and top with second slice.
- Melt butter in large skillet over low-medium heat. Add sandwich. Cook until bread is golden, turning once, about 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer sandwiches to paper towels. Cut each sandwich in half.
Sign up now for the Us Weekly newsletter to get breaking celebrity news, hot pics and more delivered straight to your inbox!