Sean “Diddy” Combs Speaks Out After UCLA Kettlebell Assault Arrest: I Was Defending Myself

Sean Combs
Diddy spoke out about his arrest for allegedly assaulting a UCLA football staff member with a kettlebell, claiming he was defending himself -- get the details here Imeh Akpanudosen/Getty Images

Unapologetic. A day after Sean "Diddy" Combs was arrested for allegedly assaulting his son Justin's UCLA football coach and an intern with a kettlebell, the hip-hop mogul spoke out on Tuesday, June 23, claiming his actions were out of self-defense.

''The various accounts of the event and charges that are being reported are wholly inaccurate,'' Nathalie Moar, a rep for Combs Enterprises, told The Associated Press after details from the police report were released. ''What we can say now is that any actions taken by Mr. Combs were solely defensive in nature to protect himself and his son.''

Later Tuesday, Diddy posted a photo of himself with Justin and the caption "#FAMILYFIRST" on Instagram. His son posted the same photo with the caption: "I thank God for having a father that's always there for me.. Love you pops!"

#FAMILYFIRST

A photo posted by Sean Diddy Combs (@iamdiddy) on Jun 23, 2015 at 4:58pm PDT

The UCPD confirmed to Us Weekly that Diddy had been arrested at UCLA’s Acosta Athletic Training Complex on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon, or in this case, a kettlebell. The rapper was on campus to watch his son, Justin, practice when the redshirt junior defensive back was scolded by conditioning coach Sal Alosi.

The exchange prompted Diddy, 45, to later walk into Alosi's office, where he allegedly cursed out the UCLA staffer. The two then got into a physical altercation, and Diddy supposedly swung a kettlebell at an intern in the weight room.

When police arrived, they watched security footage and promptly arrested Diddy. He was charged with three counts of assault with a deadly weapon, one count of making terrorist threats, and one count of battery. His bail was set at $160,000, but dropped to $50,000.

Despite the claims, Combs' rep maintained the mogul was innocent. ''We are confident that once the true facts are revealed, the case will be dismissed,'' the rep told the AP.

Sign up now for the Us Weekly newsletter to get breaking celebrity news, hot pics and more delivered straight to your inbox!

Want stories like these delivered straight to your phone? Download the Us Weekly iPhone app now!